DACA’s Dreamers

Hamline rallies for a new reality.

Politics have a way of affecting everyone, but for the Deferred Action for Child Arrivals (DACA)  students, these politics may change the course of their future. DACA  works to protect youth who immigrated illegally to the U.S.A. at a very young age; this act gives them a two year work permit and allows them to go to a university.

DACA is being suspended as of March, 2018. No new applications are being accepted at this time and renewal applications for those whose permit ends before March 2018 are not being accepted; this will effect at the least 800 thousand people in this nation.

“White people, we cannot make this a ‘their problem’,” Junior Andrew Banker, a New Student Mentor (NSM), Catalyst Site Leader and Interfaith Facilitator on campus, said.

Banker’s idea was echoed by all the speakers on Monday, October 2 in Anderson, at the DACA Rally, facilitated by Paige Natzke, HUSC Vice President.

“We are holding this rally to remind Hamline students we stand together…” Natzke said, “I stand before you as Vice President of the Undergraduates, not a representative of Hamline… so you know you belong here, despite the things being done in the government… you belong here.”

Natzke also mentioned the idea of scholarships for the ‘Dreamers’. Natzke is working with the alumni and donors to supply these students with a pathway to finish their education. Further, she is working with the Saint Paul Police Department on how to talk to students and start a ‘Know Your Rights’ campaign.

“The biggest, the absolute most important thing that students can do is be aware and involved and call your representatives,” Natske said.

Natzke opened the rally, introducing the ideas behind it and the immediate issues our own campus faces in the light of DACA being ended.

“I want the students who are part of DACA to know we aren’t throwing them to the wolves… and we want those who aren’t to understand the issues their peers are facing,” Natzke said.

Gaith Hijazin, Area Coordinator at the Hamline Apartments and the staff advisor for Residential Housing Associations (RHA), spoke at the rally as well, wanting to bring the goals of residential life to the surface and share the reason the gathering was necessary.

“It’s representing Hamline’s community and what we stand for,” Hijazin said,  “I’m here because I’m an immigrant myself… because I understand when you’re not sure of your life and future and it isn’t in your hands.”

Andrea Vircks, the Director of Safety and Security, came to assure students that their safety was the priority of this campus. She spoke about how her officers would handle anyone coming to ask about any students, DACA or otherwise.

“It’s important to remember Saint Paul is a sanctuary city… and please know you are welcome here,” Vircks said. She ended her speech by bringing the Coordinator of Social Justice Initiatives and Strategic Relations, Nur Mood to the stage.

Nur Mood, the Coordinator of Social Justice Initiatives and Strategic Relations, ended the rally after her speech.

“I came to this country twelve years ago as a refugee… but those who are part of DACA, who came here at such a young age,… they are someone who was almost born here,” Mood said. “Currently 800 thousand students are affected by this decision made by a few. An American is someone who gives to their community… Everyone in this country, everyone who came here is a dreamer.”

Finally, calling upon the events of this Sunday night, Mood left the room heavy and honest with his closing statements.

“Those working as firefighters, police, … in Texas may have been undocumented, but the white shooter was considered an American citizen… Who’s more American?”

“I was taught by my religion to treat those around you as if they’re family.. And maybe that means they are family,” Banker said.

Banker ended his piece with a powerful reminder to all in the audience.

“Justice doesn’t come from money seeking… people… justice comes from a fiery soul,” Banker said. “Let’s take care of our family.”

The rally ended with Dean of Students, Patti Klein with her beliefs.

“We are here to show our support… we support you… you belong here,” Klein said.

Klein explained the many ways Hamline, and other colleges, are taking action.” Betty McCollum (Congresswoman of the Fourth District of Minnesota) held a rally earlier this month that Paige Natzke attended that inspired the rally on Monday… she intended to raise a message of support and bring awareness on ways to help the DREAMERS Act.”

First and foremost, students have to contact their representatives, either directly or by gatherings that draw attention. Secondly, Klein and McCollum want to remind all students never to share their citizenship status unless it is in a confidential setting, like the religious leaders or counselors on campus. Speaking directly to DACA students, Klein, spoke from the information McCollum supplied, encouraging students not to travel outside of the United States due to the risk it entails. Though you should not disclose your status to her, or anyone that is not bound to confidentiality, the Dean of Students can assist in finding legal representation.

At the end of her speech on Monday, Patti Klein quoted President Miller, and these words received a resounding snap of agreement throughout the audience.

“You cannot have them, they are dreamers, they belong to us.”