Hamline’s Halloween tradition

RHA prepares for a spooky night.

Sam Lindquist, Reporter

Click here to look at the photos from the 2017 Haunted Hallway.

In spite of the the fact that winter holiday decorations are already making their appearance in stores, it is almost Halloween, which means it is almost time for the Residential Housing Association’s (RHA) annual event, Haunted Hallway.

Haunted Hallway takes place in the long, already somewhat creepy hallway in the basement of Manor on Oct. 25 from 7 to 11 p.m., and consists of the frighteningly decorated hallway, with many of the rooms decorated as well. Traditionally, several on campus organizations decorate these rooms, attempting to make them as scary as possible. Many students participating dress up in costumes and full makeup to scare Hamline students who come to the event.

“Personally, what I’m looking forward to the most is going through the Hallway itself,” Sophomore Alayna Baggenstoss, Program Correspondence Chair for RHA, who is also in charge of organizing the event this year, said. “Since I’m not in any of the rooms, I’m looking forward to being scared and seeing what each of the organizations came up with.”

Baggenstoss comments that students can expect many of the same elements that have traditionally been a part of the event, such as involvement from organizations and dressing in costume, but says there will be a few new surprises this year.

“One of the biggest differences from previous years is that everything is really centrally located,” Baggenstoss said. “The activities are in Manor Main, and the Hallway will be right under your feet. This year we will again be doing the photo booth and face painting, but I can’t tell you too much without giving it away.”

RHA advisor and Area Coordinator for the Office of Residential Life, Gaith Hijazin, suggests that students should raise their expectations about what orgs have to offer this year.

“Every year we have different room themes, and I believe that some of the organizations participating this year are definitely stepping up their game,” Hijazin said.

There will also be a costume contest this year as well as refreshments, as additions to the festivities in previous years.

“Don’t forget that there will be a costume contest with prizes for the best three costumes! Festivities will be starting in Manor lounge and tour groups will depart from there,”  Baggenstoss said.

Many student orgs will be involved in decorating Manor, some of which will have tables upstairs in Manor Main and others will be decorating rooms in the Haunted Hallway. Some of these orgs include HU Radio, Fashion Club, Dance Team, Students Today Leaders Forever (STLF), South Asian Student Association (SOSA), the Forensic Science Club, two Hall Council groups, Delta Tau, Forensic Science Club, Marketplace of Ideas and Hamline Undergraduate Student Congress (HUSC).

Hijazin thinks that events like this are important to be able to come together as a community and have fun.

“As a community we come together to discuss and tackle important matters. Sometimes we need to come together and have fun. Thus, I believe that this event will provide the space for Hamline students, staff and community members to attend, dress up, enjoy snacks and tour the hallways if they wish to do so,” Hijazin said.

This year’s annual Haunted Hallway runs from 7-11 p.m. starting in Manor Hall.