Hamline claps back

Outside community members along Hewitt made their opinions against minority groups heard; however, hamline students also made their ideas known.

While students made their way from morning classes Mar. 30, few could miss the signs floating in the air. For the second time this spring semester, protesters stood along the sidewalks in front of the bishop, protesting against “sins” such as the LGBTQ+ community, people of color, people with disabilities and those with mental health problems.

“I think the whole piece is we live in a society where we have freedom of speech,” said Patti Klein, Dean of Students and Director of Title IX. “Students need to understand that this is a public street and the students have a right to counter it.”

Along with many students and campus members came campus leaders, like junior Christopher Holmes, a Spectrum Board Member.

“The LGBTQ+ community stands in solidarity against this bigotry,” Holmes said. “Fighting and standing together is what we as Hamline students stand for, and we have to speak out against this kind of hatred and ignorance.”

A student band named Scarthur, made up of first-year Ted Tiedemann and sophomore Max Firehammer played protest songs, original works and banded with passing students to drown out the chants of the religious protests. Junior Patrick Woods also brought his guitar to counter the words of the religious protesters.

“Feed the hungry mouths on the streets of Saint Paul before you feed my soul,” Woods said in response to the speeches of salvation.

Many students demonstrated their opinions on the choice of the protestors to come to a school like Hamline.

“I think it’s an interesting choice to come to Hamline,” sophomore Alayna Bagenstoss, said. “I really don’t think they’ll get much of a response besides a lot of laughter. I saw them when I was leaving the library… Most students have been laughing at them.”

Most students came to an agreement that the entire concept of doing this at Hamline was very strange.

“The whole thing is kind of ridiculous,” first-year Audra Grigussaid. “Hamline is a strange choice for them.”

While Hamline has a few different religions represented on campus, and has a church that is connected to the school, it is no longer directly a product of the Methodist church.

“I think what they’re doing is judgemental and offensive and incredibly self-righteous,” said Chaplin Nancy Victorin-Vangerud, director of the Wesley Center and university chaplain.

Sophomore Evan Copiskey came out with a microphone and a rap he wrote to assist in the counter of the words of the protestors.

“Fight Negativity with art,” Copiskey said when explaining the motivation for his actions.

The protestors were told to leave by the St. Paul Police after one of the protesters called the police at around 4 p.m.