New meals, new deals?

The fall semester will see new meal plans available to Hamline students.

Rose Marie Athiley, Reporter

Changes to the meal plans offered at Hamline University have been in the making since the spring semester of 2017 and the 2018-2019 school year will see those changes.

“So we’ve had the current meal plans for over five-six years, and so we have been talking with Patti Klein and last year with Dean Sickbert as well about possible new meal plans,” said Food Service Director, Edward Kreitzman, “and then we have this all access plan that other universities have used and people were very interested in that here.”

The all access meal plan is just one of the major changes that will be taking place. All access means there will no longer be swipes associated with the plans, it will be an unlimited amount. That means the 160 and 220 block meal plans will be no more. The all access plan will come with 10 guest passes and will cost the same as the 160 and 220 block plans.

Freshmen and sophomores that live in the residential halls that are on meal plans will automatically have the all access meal plan. It will also be available to juniors and seniors along with the 75 block meal plan. Commuters are also in on the deal.

“Commuters can buy any meal plan that they want,” Kreitzman said. “So they can purchase an all access if they wish to. They can purchase the 75 block plan and then there’s the 40 block which is also available to only commuters.”

Even with these changes, some commuters may still not get a meal plan. This is true for commuter Rupa Adhikari.

“It really doesn’t matter because I’m still not getting a meal plan,” Adhikari said.  

Sophomore Christian Samson feels it is good but it is not for him.

“If you’re someone who has the money and wants convenient food, this is great for you. If you’re someone like me, who’s more on the cost and all that..,” Samson said. “I just think it just depends on if you’re the type of person who comes [to the Bistro] a lot to get a lot of meals.”

With these changes, declining balance (DB) is also being modified. The all access plan will come with $400 in DB.

“Any incoming freshman and transfer student of any level will have $100 in declining balance [per semester],” Kreizman said. “This was a decision that we had made with Hamline University as well. . .wanting all the students on campus to have declining balance.”

First-year Osman Cessay sees the appeal but has some concerns.

“[It] sounds good on paper, compared to my current meal plan it’s an improvement due to the fact that we are given 10 guest passes. The unlimited swipes for me, it’s not a huge change because as it stands I am yet to finish my 160 meals for this semester,” Cessay said. “Regarding the $400 DB they should allow students to put additional DB if they wish to because especially for athletes $400 DB will not be enough for the semester.”

In the 2018-2019 school year, only first-years, commuters and all transfer students will have the $100 DB. Each year a new level will be added. So within four years, all four grade levels of commuters will have $100 DB on their accounts per semester. The goal is for all students on campus to have DB.

“One reason is if you’re going to buy anything on campus, it’s cheaper” Kreitzman said, “you don’t have to pay tax. Also you do get a dollar discount per meal when using declining balance in Bishop.”
All of the students who are currently at Hamline will not have to pay the $100 and have the mandatory $100 DB on their accounts for the rest of the time that they are here at Hamline.
Another coming change will take place regarding the Bishop’s Bistro. The Bishop’s hours will be extended so that it will be open in some capacity from 7:15 a.m. until 7:30 p.m.

“Someone could come up during the day if they want a light snack, and they don’t want to go to Leo’s and spend extra money,” Kreitzman said, “like I said it is unlimited and they’ll swipe their card and be able to come in and just grab a soda, just grab a piece of fruit, just grab a cookie. Something nice and easy where it’s already part of their plan.”

During the non-meal times there will be continental breakfast in the morning (pastries, beverages,cereal, fruits, bread, english muffins and bagels).
Then between lunch and dinner, there will be light lunch like the ones on Saturdays and Sundays (salad bar, sandwich deli, soup, beverages, cereals, cookies).
The overall goal it seems, is to facilitate access to food for all Hamline students. For more information contact Food Service Director, Edward Kreitzman at ekretizman01@hamline.edu or stop by Dining Services on the second flood of Anderson Student Center.