Introducing Melinda Heikkinen

The new head of Safety and Security is here and ready to jump in.

Melinda+Heikkinen+in+front+of+her+wall+of+accolades+

Kat McCullum

Melinda Heikkinen in front of her wall of accolades

The search is over; Hamline’s new head of Safety and Security is Melinda Heikkinen.

Heikkinen has spent the majority of her professional career working in security all over the country while also having a career as part of the Army National Guard.

“Prior to coming to Hamline, I worked at Gustavus. I was the assistant director of campus safety and I did emergency preparedness. Before that, I worked at Seattle University in Seattle. I was also an assistant director. I did training developments and investigations,” Heikkinen said.

Heikkinen acted as the Sexual Assault Response Coordinator (SARC) for the state of Washington in her last two years of her National Guard career.

“We [Heikkinen and Staff Sergeant Jennika Cardenas] were responsible for the educational program, the reduction, and the response program for the entire state of Washington; about 7000 soldiers and airmen were our responsibilities.

“The Department of Defense every year selects a SARC from each branch or service… In 2016 I was the National Guard SARC of the year…The next year was an inaugural Victim Advocate Coordinator of the Year award… And my partner [Cardenas] got the first one ever. I am more proud of her getting that and it validated our program,” Heikkinen said.

Despite the extreme efforts Heikkinen put into this job, she left more motivated than ever.

“In that program I met so many incredibly strong folks. It was the hardest job I had and probably the most satisfying I had too,” Heikkinen said.

What clearly runs strong in Heikkinen is her desire to help not only an entire community but the individuals in it by getting to really know those she works for.

“I like higher education because I get to work with students. I know already that’s what I’m going to enjoy most. We are Safety and Security so all of our interactions are not pleasant… but the ultimate goal is the safety of the students,” Heikkinen said.

Paige Natzke, current HUSC Vice President, was involved in the interview process and found this same thing to be true of Heikkinen.

“She came prepared, she had all the policy based stuff, but she really wanted to focus on student relationships and relationships with staff and faculty,” Natzke said.

Beyond that, Natzke felt Heikkinen fit right into the deeper discussions occurring on Hamline’s campus.

“She has a very deep understanding that police officers and security officers historically have not had great relationships with marginalized communities and that deep understanding led me to advise her to be in the last round of interviews,” Natzke said.

Heikkinen expressed her understanding of that importance.

“One of the things I asked the officers “What can we do better on campus?” and a couple came forward with ‘I think we should reintroduce ourselves to the campus community,’” Heikkinen said.

Ultimately, Heikkinen is ready to commit to Hamline and stay here for the long haul.

“Hamline is where I want to be for retirement…I’m really happy to be here, I had such a  positive experience with everybody. I just hope I can bring something to the community.”