Writing beyond the written word

Writing Center undergoes a revamp.

Kat McCullum

Writing and Communication Center welcomes you.

Kat McCullum, Senior Reporter

The Writing Center has taken new form and become The Writing and Communication Center. What prompted this switch? According to Rob Cannella, a communication specialist and leader of the new Writing and Communication Center, it is to keep up with shifts in academic presenting seen throughout the nation and here at Hamline.

“We’re starting to see a shift in the way writing centers are run to acknowledge that our students are asked to do a lot more than just write papers,” Cannella said. “There’s been a push, especially at Hamline, to do things like visuals and infographics and we think a writing center should be able to support students in things… that are beyond strict, traditional writing but still involve the communication process.”

Other schools like Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Samford University and Randolph-Macon College have made the same type of move in their writing centers.

This shift in focus requires more from the tutors who are receiving continuous training throughout the semester so that they are better equipped to help students in the communication process.

“We don’t ask our tutors to be technical experts in anything,” Cannella said. “We can be critical audience members and we can look at this as an end user… If you want a captive audience to listen to you while you give your presentation and be able to critique it in real time, we also could provide that source of help.”

The changes to the former Writing Center really are to benefit a larger population on campus.

“We welcome everyone; part of our mission statement is that we welcome all students from all majors at all points in their projects,” Cannella said.

He likened visiting the new Writing and Communication Center to going to the gym, a metaphor meant to invite in anyone who is hesitant to pay a visit or who thinks it might be something they do not require.

“You don’t just go because you’re out of shape, you go to stay in shape and to maintain yourself; to build strength and stamina on top of what you already have and I think we offer that to people.”