Haunted Hallway takes over Manor

Residential Housing Association continues a spooky Hamline Halloween tradition.

With Halloween landing on a Wednesday  this year, it might seem like the celebration will have to wait until the weekend. But thanks to the Residential Housing Association’s (RHA) annual Haunted Hallway event, that does not have to be true. Falling on Oct. 31, this exhilarating event will make Halloween not just another school night.

“[Haunted Hallway] is a haunted house run by students, done for students,” sophomore and Programming Communications Coordinator Mary Wiertelak said. “It’s going to be a really great time.”

Whether students are looking for a thrilling tour to make them scream or just comfortable fun festivities, Haunted Hallway has it. Sophomores Amanda Danielson and Oracle reporter Zach Dickmeyer, the Public Relations Chairs, are very excited about the event.

“There’s this creepy, weird underground tunnel that connects the basement of Sorin to the basement of Manor,” Dickmeyer said.

The basement, the tunnel and multiple rooms will be decorated for the roughly 15 minute-long tours taking place throughout the night.

“People who come to this event will be taken on tours. They will be spooked,” Danielson said. “So if you live in Manor, you might hear screaming. It’s okay.”

The hallway will have creatures roaming throughout the tour along with other scary surprises, making it feel as though there is not anywhere to hide. Rooms will be decorated by different organizations, each offering their own chilling touches on the event.

While the Haunted Hallway is the main attraction, attendees who are not looking to take the tour are invited to Manor Main.

“Let’s just do something fun to celebrate Halloween,” Wiertelak said. “It doesn’t necessarily have to happen in a scary room, it can be [that you] don’t like being spooked so [you] can go to Manor Main, and just do a fun activity.”

Between tables set up by different organisations, handouts, games, a costume contest put on by the Fashion Club and the Women’s Resource Center, a photo booth and more, there will be plenty to do for those not looking to be scared.

With so much on offer, the event presents an opportunity for everyone to shape their experience to what they are looking for. The Haunted Hallway can be a quick stop for those who have other plans or can be something people spend most of their night at.

“I’m really excited for students to have an event where they get to celebrate Halloween in a fun… responsible way,” RHA Advisor Gaith Hijazin said. “[It’s] a good event that we can provide students with… to create an awesome experience without them feeling the pressure to go out.”

Whether students are looking to play into the fear and fright of Halloween or just looking to dress up and win prizes, the event allows students to have tons of fun in a safe environment.

“I like Haunted Hallway because I think it’s a real fun event. There’s a lot of fun events on campus [that] have another purpose,” Dickmeyer said. “But Haunted Hallway really feels like it’s largely [just] ‘let’s celebrate Halloween, let’s get spooky’ and I just think it’s super cool that we have an event like that.”

The safety of every is of the utmost importance, so RHA encourages anyone to email them at rha@hamline.edu with concerns of any kind.

The event will be going on from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. and is open to community members as well. Participants are encouraged to show up in their best costumes to compete in the contest, take lots of pictures and enjoy all the fun Halloween has to offer.