Would you be my Quarantine?

COVID-19 has changed much of normal life here at Hamline. However, students say that Valentine’s day looks the same for them this year despite the pandemic.

Kathryn Robinson, Reporter

Valentine’s day — a day of flowers, love, chocolate and loneliness. Many hate Valentine’s day for just that reason. The impending fear of dying alone while countless couples kiss and show love all around you is enough to make anyone shudder at the thought of February 14th. This year was no different. With many feeling more isolated than ever before, Valentine’s day was just a reminder of the disaster that was 2020. 

Even though many restaurants are open again for indoor dining, many Hamline students still stayed in this Valentine’s day. Carmen Garcia, a first-year student, spent the day getting takeout with a friend and watching a movie.

“A relaxed Valentine’s day was my plan for this year,” Garcia added.

Takeout and a movie were common themes for this year’s Valentine’s day. First-year students Erika Albrecht and Raul Ortiz also enjoyed a relaxed day together.

“We made red velvet cake pops and some chocolate-covered strawberries,” Albrecht said. “We also watched a movie and we plan on stocking up on the discounted Valentine chocolates this week,” Ortiz added. 

When asked if this year’s Valentine’s day was altered because of COVID-19, many agreed that it was not.

“Honestly last year we did the same thing as this year,” Albrecht said. 

Albrecht and Ortiz weren’t the only ones having a relaxed Valentine’s day. 

“Even without COVID guidelines, I’d probably do something similar,” Garcia said. 

Because of COVID-19 travel restrictions, many long distance couples also were not able to spend the day together. Lily Willier, a first-year student, and her long-distance boyfriend did not spend the day together. 

“It’s been hard, but we stay connected and have been able to Facetime,” Willier said.

Although many spent the day relaxing at home with friends or a significant other, the majority of students did nothing. When polled, 56% of Hamline students that answered said they did not have plans. Some even sent messages saying “I’ll be spending the day crying” or that Valentine’s day was stupid. While these may have been lighthearted comments, this day is seen negatively by many. 

Valentine’s day can be a lonely day, especially if you are single. While it should not just be a day for couples, it often is. Cameron Regan, a sophomore at Hamline, felt like he did not have much to do on Valentine’s day because he is not in a relationship. 

“I dislike the idea that Valentine’s day can only be celebrated if you are in a relationship,” Regan explained. 

Although Valentine’s day may have looked a little different this year, the loneliness and isolation were still problems for many students. It’s important, especially nowadays, to appreciate and love your friends and family. Even though the pandemic has forced us to physically distance ourselves from one another, there is still hope left in this season of love. Most importantly, remember to love and to be patient with yourself and those around you.