Speakout: What do you think about holding and celebrating Lunar New Year virtually?

Mien Le, Opinion Editor

Mien Le
Alex Yang (He/Him/His), Sophomore, Vice President of APAC:

“Planning Lunar New Year as a virtual event definitely has its own unique set of challenges. From deciding which virtual platform we would use to contacting performers about recording their performances, the to-do list was never ending. Despite this, we are very excited to show all of our Lunar New Year guests what we have been working so hard to plan. This year’s Lunar New Year will be quite different from the previous ones, but still just as meaningful.”

Mien Le
Emily Lou (She/Her/Hers), Senior, President of APAC:

“It’s definitely new to us. This is my second time being on the board of APAC and to be honest, I don’t know how it’s going to turn out. Growing up, I’ve always celebrated Lunar New Year in person. I appreciated our past Lunar New Year events because I got to feel the energy of everyone being in the same room. Doing it virtually is going to be different because who knows if people are going to keep their cameras or if they’re going to be quiet. We just hope that the turnout is great as this is one of our major events and an online one at that!”

Mien Le
Noah Vue (He/Him/His), Junior, APAC Public Relations Officer:

Celebrating Lunar New Year virtually for APAC is a whole different experience than what we’re used to prior to COVID, having it in person. Planning our event this year was a bit difficult as we try to keep it as fun and engaging as possible being limited. As much as we would love to celebrate our Lunar New Year in person, we still hope everyone is able to have a great time filled with warmth and happiness as we celebrate the new year together.