Considering Criminological Theories in our Everyday Lives

Melissa Tallman, Columnist

Leo Coughenour

Time in college is an excellent opportunity for us to think about our goals in life, the communities we will inhabit and our privileges as college students. 

According to the Pew Research Center, only 37.9% of adults older than 25 have completed their bachelor’s degree as of 2021. Many people don’t even start to attend college due to costs or disinterest.  As students of a reputable college in Minnesota, we are privileged and we should utilize that privilege to improve the lives and communities around us.

What is a community?

Community is an umbrella term that can mean neighborhood, state or even just a close circle of friends. There are many ways we can get involved and utilize our privileges to encourage equity for all, for today’s article I will discuss this through the lens of three broad criminologically-based theories.

Community/Collective Efficacy

The ability for community members to collaborate and unite to improve their neighborhood conditions is relevant in addressing marginalization and systemic issues. Community efficacy can make all the difference in helping disadvantaged communities, in which we might someday live and/or work in. 

An important foundation to develop collective efficacy is social cohesion, which relies on social bonds within the community. Getting to know your neighbors and peers at school is a way to encourage social cohesion. 

Learning to collaborate with others, accomplishing shared goals and self-advocacy are important skills that will help all of us improve the conditions of our future communities; students of Hamline can accomplish this by getting involved with student groups on campus and nonprofit organizations off-campus. 

Through connecting with other people to unite and solve problems, we can all do our part to improve equity on and off campus.

Strain Theory

Broadly speaking, strain theory states that all people have common goals, and if they have a strain that impacts their ability to reach those goals, then people may break the rules/law to accomplish their goals. 

Students facing under-employment have difficulty affording food, and many students may suffer from lower grades when they have to spend more time working to afford their bills. At Hamline, we have a system to support students to encourage and guarantee their success. 

The Hamline Food Resource Center (FRC) gives out thousands of pounds of food to students every year as part of the student support system, and faculty such as the Dean of Students exists for the purpose of addressing financial and academic difficulties that may hold us back from succeeding as students. These are worth celebrating! 

Additionally, there are food gardens on and around campus that contribute fresh produce to the FRC, helping students of any income level live healthily. We do have to consider that we are privileged to have this support system, and many other people do not have that same support system. Food banks do exist but more people are relying on food banks and donations are decreasing as people prepare for a potential economic collapse.

How can you help? There are options big and small for ways you can take action. 

Some nonprofits all over the Twin Cities metro area plant and manage food gardens, and they are always looking for volunteers to assist with maintenance during warmer months. Food banks and kitchens always appreciate the help, even if you can only sporadically pick up shifts for an hour or two. 

Organizations such as Open Arms and Meals on Wheels even deliver food, and this increases food access to people with disabilities or compromised immune systems. 

If you don’t want to commit to a shift, you can still make a difference through careful consideration of the strains your peers and close friends face. Food insecurity is just one example of ways you can address the strains your classmates and friends face.

As classes ramp up in difficulty and more assignments, you can always give your peers a kind ear and offer to assist them with occasional tasks.

Social Process

Social Process is an umbrella term for theories relating to behavior we learn and are conditioned towards. People can learn harmful or positive behaviors from their peers. This is why good role models who teach members of the community, especially youth about good habits are so important. 

Consider after-school programs or regular tutors; these people can make a positive impact on the lives and communities that surround them. Hamline students, who are often considered academically successful, can play a role in bridging the college attendance and graduation gap by mentoring and tutoring youth. 

Many people lack the resources to hire a tutor, so tutors who volunteer with after-school programs provide a crucial resource. You do not have to tutor youth to make a positive contribution though, many student organizations are great ways to gain and share knowledge and experiences with like-minded peers. Many organizations even host study sessions, which can be a good opportunity to gain guidance and feedback in a positive way.

Tutoring or mentoring is not the only way to contribute towards making our community a better place through the social process. 

Control Theory focuses on how feedback from friends impacts behavior. When your friends disapprove of something you do, how often are you likely to continue doing that? Holding our friends accountable and calling out toxic and harmful behavior or language is a small thing we can do to improve life on campus for everyone. 

How can you help? 

There are options big and small for ways you can take action. 

As classes ramp up in difficulty and more assignments, you can always give your peers a kind ear and offer to assist them with occasional tasks. When your friends say a sexist or racist remark, call them out, do not tolerate it. Sometimes it might take some explaining for them to understand why those statements are so harmful, but it is important to stop those statements and behaviors in their tracks. Doing nothing can be the worst thing to do.