More than just a club

Isaac Roy
Hamline’s Cheer Team, the Cheerios, performed a special halftime performance during the Homecoming football game this year for the first time. In past years, New Student Programs has performed at the halftime show.

Homecoming is a true ringing-in of the thick of the fall semester and the fall sports season itself. Activities are spread throughout the week, ending with the Homecoming tailgate and football game.
Events this week could not have happened without people and teams chipping in, and one team has been helping in a big way.
“[Piper Cheer is] not a club, but we’re … a sport. We’re here to bring more spirit, bring more sass, bring more energy to the football games and to Hamline in general,” cheerleader Savior Johnson said. Outside of being a key part of sporting events, Piper Cheer is also responsible for the Spirit Days this Homecoming week.
“It’s a lot of practice and planning, and we’re trying to cram a lot into a small amount of time,” Junior Wren Heille said. “We just try to keep everything as organized as possible.”
Piper Cheer’s effect, both at games and other events, cannot be understated. That effect is even more incredible considering that this iteration of Hamline’s Cheer Squad is just over one year old.
Even with just a year and change of being together, Johnson said “it’s more than a group, and it’s more than a team: it’s a sisterhood and a family.”
Something that can’t be ignored whenever writing about cheer is the never-ending, always-hamfisted “discussion” on whether or not cheer is a sport.
“We are a sport,” Heille said. “Cheerleading takes a lot more work, preparation and practice than people think it does.” Just like any other sport, countless hours of rigorous practice are poured into the on-field performance to execute on game days.
In terms of inclusivity, Johnson wants people to know that their rambunctious nature isn’t meant to deter people.
“We don’t bite!” Johnson said. “I feel like some people get intimidated ‘cause we’re, like, loud. We’re very energetic but we love to invite people in.”
Intimidation aside, it’s made quite obvious that the Hamline faithful cannot wait to see what Piper Cheer brings to Hamline Athletics next.