Hamline welcomes new Athletic Director

Alex Focke, former Women’s Basketball Head Coach, takes on the new roles of Athletic Director and Assistant Vice President in the departure of his predecessor, Jason Verdugo, beginning his eleventh year at Hamline. Focke yeah!
Courtesy of Alex Focke

Last July, Hamline introduced Alex Focke as the University’s new Athletic Director. Focke however is no stranger to the institution or Hamline Athletics, with over a decade of experience on campus.
“I love coaching because of the chance to work with student-athletes and make a positive impact,” Focke said. “The great thing about being an Athletic Director is that you can still have that connection with student-athletes.”
Focke began his tenure at Hamline as the men’s basketball top assistant coach for four seasons before switching to women’s basketball as the head coach. Joshua Hersch will take over head coaching duties for the women’s program for the upcoming season after spending five seasons as an assistant coach.
“I will definitely miss the coaching side of things, but I have really enjoyed this role so far and love the opportunity to be around all of our teams,” Focke said.
Despite this being his first year as Athletic Director, Focke has spent five years as the University’s Compliance Director.
“This place is really special to me because of the people involved,” Focke said.
Focke’s longevity and connections across athletics helped in a smooth transition over the summer to prepare for the slate of fall sports.
“Our former athletic director, Jason Verdugo, gave me a ton of responsibilities as a head coach and has been a great mentor for me,” Focke said. “He knew I was interested in the administrative side of athletics and did a great job preparing me for this opportunity.”
Verdugo began his tenure at the University of Wisconsin–Eau Claire following his departure last spring as Hamline’s former Athletic Director.
Focke is introducing a new motto going into his first academic year as the director.
“Success comes when we all win, better TOGETHER,” Focke said. “Everything on our campus is connected, and it is so important that we all work together.”
In his final two seasons as head coach, Focke amassed a 37–-16 record including a program record 19 wins in the 2021-2022 season.
“I want our coaches and student-athletes to celebrate the success of each other. We are working to build a positive culture of success this year,” Focke said.
Focke’s success and leadership was a big part of them assuming his new role, his longevity at Hamline keeps a familiar face on the administrative side of Hamline Athletics.
“I love the Hamline community. We have such a great group of student-athletes and coaches and I love being around them every day,” Focke said. “I have been so lucky to have had the chance to take different jobs and roles within our athletic department while staying at Hamline University.”

Courtesy of Alex Focke