Queens and king grace the ballroom

Justin Antwi
Queen Gemini Valentine performs for the audience.

Twin Cities kings and queens returned to campus as Spectrum celebrated Hamline’s twenty-seventh annual drag show on Friday, Oct. 6. This fall’s cast included Rustina Phoenix-Nutzz, Gemini Valentine, Tyler T. Love and Miz Diagnoses, all returning queens from previous years.
Last year’s show took place on the lawn of Old Main, where students bundled up in blankets.
This year, Spectrum, the LGBTQ+ student organization on campus, hosted this event in Bush Ballroom, a much warmer environment. The show provided an opportunity to bring the community together in order to feel heard and showcase the true meaning of drag.
Students engaged electrically with each performer.
“This is giving the opportunity for everyone to feel appreciated, and give a safe space for the drag kings and queens in Minnesota to perform here,” said senior Valentina Hernandez, Co-President of Spectrum.
Each performer sang two songs during the show. Rustina Phoenix-Nutzz has been performing for four years and began with a sweet yet salty performance. She was followed by Gemini Valentine, whose spooky but fashionable routine shocked the audience with an unexpected death drop.
Tyler T. Love, the only King performing that night, has been performing at Hamline drag shows for many years. He brought back his lip sync routine to “There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back” by Shawn Mendes. Miz Diagnoses showcased her handmade costume to the audience closing out the last performance of the evening.

King Tyler T. Love performs at the drag show. Justin Antwi

As students reached out to tip the performers throughout the night, they found ways to intimately interact with the audience. With the show kicking off Coming-Out Week, students are able to explore new ways of self expression.
“This night is a way to be ourselves and let the performers entertain what represents us,” said Nasra Sufi.
As of last year, Spectrum has been able to pay each performer $50: more than previous years. The performers love to come back and entertain students within the community and Spectrum hopes to continue this tradition.
“Having a space for queer students or allies to be able to come have experiences like this is cool, especially when it’s accessible,” senior Aaliyah Gurley said.
Spectrum is planning to host an LGBTQ+ book fair soon with artists from the Twin Cities. To get involved with or learn more about Spectrum, they meet every other Thursday at 4:30 p.m. in GLC 110W.

A crowd of students watches Tyler T. Love. Justin Antwi