Fall sports now in full swing at Hamline

Isaac Roy
Sophomore Eric Pfenning-Wendt cuts to the outside on a return play for a big gain.

The fall slate for Piper athletics is in midseason as the weather cools down and pumpkin spice is around every corner. Before MIAC playoffs and the start of winter sports, the fall programs look to push through in the tail end of their respective seasons.
The men’s soccer program has been off to a great start, already matching their win total from a season ago. The team has established themselves as road warriors, with every win to this point coming from off campus.
Head Coach Tyler Oliver began his tenure at Hamline just last March, leading the program to a turnaround in his first season. The Pipers have six games remaining, four of which are versus fellow MIAC opponents.
Women’s Volleyball is currently off to a 3–11 start, losing their last six matches. They will play 10 more games this season before a hopeful MIAC playoff appearance in December. Their next match is Wednesday, Oct. 11, at Hutton Arena.
Men’s Tennis is underway for the fall season before a long hiatus, resuming in February. They lost 0–9 against Carleton in the first complete match of the year. The tough loss was a good learning experience however, The Pipers bounced back in a big way winning 7–2 against UW-La Crosse.
Women’s Soccer has faced a recent slump: losing eight straight games and only netting one goal in that span. They are 1–8–1 to this point with six games remaining. The defense has been stellar all season, only giving up more than two goals twice in their first 10 games.
The gridiron has looked all too similar for The Pipers. Similar to last year, The Pipers started 2–0 before a tough run through the MIAC gauntlet. Following two blowout victories to start the season, they have dropped three in a row now: all against MIAC teams. They will travel up to Moorhead to battle against Concordia and look for their first conference win since 2021.
Most of the fall programs are past the halfway point in their respective seasons, many are looking for MIAC success as we enter the final weeks of fall.

Peter Schmitz