Pipers punch their ticket to the playoffs

Hamline Women’s Basketball secures final postseason spot in MIAC tournament with win over St. Scholastica College.

With just two games remaining in the regular season, postseason play was still in the air for the Pipers. The Pipers went into their game versus St. Scholastica just one victory to ensure the continuation of their season, however, a loss would have thrown the program’s season on the ropes.

Thankfully, the Pipers were able to swiftly move by the Saints 75–63 on Feb. 14. However, the win was not necessary to the season’s survival as Augsburg could not muster a win versus St. Catherine University.

After starting the new year on a five-game skid, the team locked in and bounced back incredibly, winning six of their last eight games. This season, a new head coach —  but a familiar face to the program — Joshua Hersch stepped up and earned his first playoff appearance. 

This will be the team’s fourth straight trip to the postseason but they have yet to break into the deeper rounds of the tournament as they currently sit at a 2–7 playoff record.

The recent tear proves the team can be a threat to anyone they face in the postseason, during the hot streak the Pipers were able to take down two other playoff-bound programs in Concordia and St. Benedict.

The stretch consisted of only MIAC opponents which helped them climb the standings thanks to a teamwide effort. The program abides by two simple words “all in,” which demonstrates that each and every Piper on the roster contributes to victories.

The regular season will end shortly on Feb. 17 where the Pipers will get an excellent test before playoffs against the top-seeded Gustavus Adolphus, who have gone 22–2 this season.

The Gusties have proved to be the standout team in the conference, being the only nationally ranked team and currently are the seventh-ranked team in the country.

Despite having a game to go, the Pipers’ first-round matchup has already been decided. On Tuesday, Feb. 20, the Pipers will travel to the other side of the tracks to do battle against St. Catherine.

The two split their season series with one win a piece both winning on their respective home courts. Regardless of the outcome, the team showed brilliant flashes of resiliency all season long and consistently displayed that when it mattered most.