Baseball wins three straight in high-scoring, dramatic fashion

Logan McGaheran
Players get locked in indoors before a very successful weekend against Buena Vista College in Topeka, KS.

Hamline earned a sweep of the Martin Luther Knights this past weekend in a three game set. The series was marked by offensive explosions as well as many impressive performances, with the Pipers showing how dangerous their hitters can be.
Game one on Friday began with a three run first inning as the Pipers ripped off a pair of RBI (runs batted in) doubles. Then, in the second, the Pipers would put together an eight run inning aided by a pair of Martin Luther errors.
The Pipers would go on to score four more runs, resulting in a 15–0 final. The stars of game one consist of starting pitcher Connor Mestemacher, who pitched six scoreless innings along with 5 Ks (also known as swinging strikeouts) to earn the win, Jacob Barmore, who led HU with three RBI, and Tyler Johnson, who went 3–4 with an RBI.
Game two of Friday’s double header would see the Pipers get out to an 8–2 lead going into the fifth. Following a four-run fifth inning, which saw RBI from Johnson (2), Barmore, and Bourne, the Knights would blast a three run home run to make it 12–5. Hamline would go on to notch two more runs in the 7th, one in the 8th and three in the 9th as they earned the 20–6 victory.
Johnson led with four RBI in game two while Caden Erickson had a monster 5–6 at the plate with four runs and an RBI. Josh Cary earned the save, throwing three perfect innings and tacking on four Ks.
Game three on Saturday began with a massive 10 run first inning by Martin Luther behind five extra base hits. The Pipers then strung together 6 runs through the next four innings. In the fifth, after cutting the deficit to a run, Mac Enlow blasted a three run shot to put the Pipers up 12–10. After going into the ninth inning with a 16–12 lead, the Knights would make the contest a nailbiter, but it was ultimately too little too late and Hamline would complete the sweep with a 16–15 victory.
Mac Enlow impressed with a 2–5 afternoon to go along with a HR, 5 RBI, and 2 BB. Tyler Johnson continued his dominance with a five hit game, going 5–6 while recording an RBI.
The Pipers will be back in action on March 2 in Indianola, IA, for a three game series against Simpson College.