HUSC Happenings

HUSC+Happenings

Joyful conversations amongst students filled up GLC 100E as Hamline Undergraduate Student Congress (HUSC) began their weekly meeting. Attendees gradually directed their attention to the front of the room while they enjoyed sandwiches from a nearby deli, D. Brian’s.
HUSC’s internal president, Abi Grace Mart, started off with a quick introduction before leading into roll call. During this section, senior Maddie Christensen mentioned that it is currently election week for HUSC. Voting goes until 8pm on Feb. 29 and will decide positions for internal and external HUSC president and other representative positions for the next school year. Students received an email from Hamline Student Activities with a link to access the google form ballot.
Travis Matthews, the external president of HUSC, informed the attendees of two forms that will be sent out today. The first being the application for a HUSC scholarship and the second being a nomination form for faculty and staff recognition awards.
With no other announcements from leaders, students or faculty, Mart adjourned the student portion of the meeting and introduced Dennis Egan, a representative from MN Private College Council. Egan visited HUSC to talk about the importance of the Day at the Capitol event and what needs to be advocated for, specifically for private universities, while students are there. He explained the North Star Promise and how it excludes students attending private universities. Egan is fighting for the Promise Equalization Scholarship which would provide approximately 13,000 students attending private institutions that were left out of the North Star Promise with an equal opportunity to fund their higher education.
Egan ended his presentation with a call for more students to attend the Day at the Capitol and take advantage of this special opportunity to speak with the legislators making impactful decisions. The registration deadline for all students is next Wednesday, March 6.
Mart then called to move to the next topic which entailed passing two amendments. The first vote was to set into law what presidential debates look like when only one presidential team is running, which originated due to the circumstances of the current HUSC presidential election. The second amendment was in relation to streamlining requirements for a student organization constitution.
After the passing of the amendments, Mart called to close and the meeting was officially adjourned.
To learn more about HUSC, visit husc.hamline.edu or attend a general assembly on Tuesdays from 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. in GLC 100E.