HUSC Happenings

Pitch Perfect’s rendition of “Party in the USA” by Miley Cyrus blasting through the speakers began the Hamline Undergraduate Student Congress (HUSC) General Assembly, per a recommendation by Internal President of HUSC, Abi Grace Mart.
She quickly welcomed those in attendance before introducing Secretary Elisa Lopez, who promptly began roll call.
Treasurer Oliver Engstrom announced preparations the Economic Affairs Committee (EAC) is making for the 2024-2025 budget. Student Organizations Committee (SOC) Chair Maddie Christensen acknowledged the end of HUSC elections for the following year, kindly welcoming new representatives to the general assembly.
External President Travis Matthews reminded assembly members that the opportunity to RSVP for HUSC’s day at the capitol is closing on March 6. Additionally, Matthews spoke of an opportunity for students to meet and talk with the Board of Trustees through a new student mixer event. Finally, Christensen announced a new bylaw amendment to change the vacant Assistant Dean of Students position’s role on the HUSC Scholarship selection committee to the HUSC Advisor.
Dean of Students Patti Klein-Kersten reminded assembly members that housing on campus will be open during spring break while dining options will not. Additionally, Leo’s Corner and Starbucks will have limited hours. Klein-Kersten also made sure to highlight the National Collegiate Gymnastic Association (NCGA) Gymnastics Tournament, explaining that the influx of individuals on campus may make it more difficult for students to find on-campus parking.
There were no additional updates by staff or faculty members.
The meeting then shifted to concerns assembly members had heard from students around campus. Junior representative Abbi Kutz brought attention to students on campus feeling limited for research opportunities by work study jobs. Klein-Kersten then reminded the General Assembly of Hamline’s internship program that pays $2,000 to students with unpaid internships. Residential Housing Association representative Abigail Carlson reminded assembly members that although there is a $2,000 stipend for students, the cost to participate in these programs is $1,700, leaving students only $300 to take home.
The assembly next discussed recent transphobia online after the Instagram account @hamlineconfessions left transgender and nonbinary students feeling unsafe on campus after sharing a ‘confession’ with transphobic rhetoric. Klein-Kersten made sure to note that permanent plaques for all-gender restrooms are on their way.
Klein-Kersten addressed the upcoming student-led pro-Palestine protest by outlining the resources available to students who wish to protest on campus, particularly in regard to the requirement that groups reserving spaces on campus be formally recognized organizations.

Two resolutions and one amendment were proposed to the general assembly. The first resolution focused on purchasing compostable silverware for the commuter lounge, especially since there are no composting facilities on campus. The resolution passed with a two-thirds vote. The second resolution focused on addressing Hamline’s institutional responsibility regarding the ongoing humanitarian crisis and ethnic cleansing of civilizations in Gaza. The resolution passed with a two-thirds vote. The full resolution is available here. The final amendment concerned HUSC leadership in the HUSC scholarship selection, proposing to move from the Asst. Dean of Students to HUSC Advisor. The amendment passed with a two-thirds vote. The full amendment is available here. After new business ended, Mart closed the meeting just in time for the end of convo hour. To learn more about HUSC, visit husc.hamline.edu or attend a general assembly on Tuesdays from 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. in GLC 100E.