Baseball takes care of Macalester in home opener

Following a postponement on 4/3 the Pipers took the field a day later, defeating the Scots in a double header

Hamline completed a two game sweep of the Macalester Scots during Thursday’s double header, welcoming Piper baseball fans back to CHS Field for the first time in the 2024 season.
Game one quickly began with the Piper’s Max Gertsner setting the tone with a leadoff triple to center field. The very next batter, Caden Erickson, would single to left, scoring Gertsner and putting the Pipers up 1–0 in the first inning. The score would remain the same until the fourth inning where Gertsner would get hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to up the Pipers lead to 2–0. The lone Macalester run would come in the top of the fifth, courtesy of an Isaiah Ramirez R.B.I. single to cut the Pipers lead down to one. The score would stay the same thereafter as the Pipers would go on to win 2–1.
The Scots only managed to put together four hits thanks to a phenomenal performance by starting pitcher Hans Christensen. Chirstensen plowed through the Macalester lineup, recording nine strikeouts to only one walk while pitching a complete game.
The scoring in game two began in the fourth when the Pipers scored two runs, one on an infield error and the other a steal of home by Braeden Bourne. HU would tack on two more runs coming in the sixth and seventh innings and would finish the sweep by a final score of 4-0. Tyler Johnson was the top offensive performer from game two, recording a perfect four hit afternoon in four at-bats. On the pitching side, Parker Leipzig earned the W with 5.1 scoreless innings, striking out three Scots. Josh Cary and Dalton Maxwell finished up the job pitching the rest of the game and recording four strikeouts between the two.
The Pipers break even with a 2–2 MIAC record and 9–13 overall. Hamline baseball will be back in action on April 6 as they host Concordia-Moorhead in a double header at CHS Field.