Baseball splits double header with St. John’s

Hamline split Monday’s home doubleheader against the Johnnies of St. John’s.
Game one began with an early RBI single by junior Finn Melchior to put the Pipers up quick 1–0. Both offenses would stay quiet for the majority of the game after that. Then in the top of the sixth, the Johnnies would tie the score courtesy of a Blake Mellgren RBI single.
The bottom of the sixth belonged to the Pipers as they would start the inning by loading the bases with nobody out.
With the bases loaded, junior Jack Rheineck came up to the plate to deliver the killing blow: a pinch hit, go ahead grand slam to put the Pipers up 5–1. Senior Josh Cary would come back out to the mound to shut down the St. John’s hitters and to put a stamp on game one.

Junior Finn Melchior hypes up the Piper dugout after an extra base hit.

Both sophomore Cade McGraw and senior Tyler Johnson recorded two hit games but the performance of the night of course goes to junior Jack Rheineck courtesy of his game winning grand slam.
Game two was a different story than game one, however. The Johnnies put up a crooked number with six runs in the first inning off of eight hits.
The score would stay there until the fifth when Erickson, Johnson, Melchior and Enlow each notched an RBI to cut the Pipers’ deficit to only two runs. St. John’s would go on to two insurance runs in the top of the eighth off of a Rodney Erickson single and a passed ball that would make the score 8–4, where it would stay until the end of the game. Fifth-year Mac Enlow recorded an RBI off of a hit and a walk that continues the absolute tear he has been on all season long.
The series split pushes the Pipers’ conference record to 3–5 while they move to 10–16 overall. Hamline baseball will be in action in River Falls, WI on April 10 to face North Central.