Glitter, Glee and Gag-worthy Glam

Rea Clark
The crowd watches in awe as sophomore Raine Lentz sips on an iced cold soda-pop while lipsyncing to Robbie William’s “Soda Pop.”

Glitter, Glee and Gag-worthy Glam

Bedazzled and stunting vibrant outfits full of color, drag divas flaunted their stuff to an enthusiastic audience. For the night, Hamline’s usual smell of textbooks and anxiety was replaced by a combination of makeup and community.

Extraordinary slays, sashays and shantays
First-year Macy Ramsden rolled into action with some radiantly rainbow roller skates. The drag name Skye Mcmann-bitch and the ability to roller skate with drag pizzazz made their performance even more impressive.
“That’s so cool; now I want a pair of roller skates,” sophomore attendee Lindsey Koch said.
Thorne Sandstrom, a sophomore, then came out and captivated viewers with his gothic makeup and Victorian-esque outfit. His act reeled in the audience, fascinated by his stage presence and singing skills.
“The outfit and song reminded me of Phantom of the Opera; it’s like the masquerade theme for Fireball. It was really cool,” Koch said.
Next, Spectrum president and sophomore Valentina Hernadez stepped out in a bright green sparkly top and overalls, showing off her “Sexy Luigi” persona. The crowd went wild for her and her drawn-on Super Mario Bros-style mustache.
“I just, you know, just like to put myself out there. “I just thought I might as well have some fun,” Hernandez said.
Coming from a school with many religious individuals, Spectrum has allowed Hernandez to be herself freely. She explained it has made her a lot more accepting of her sexuality.
“It’s given me the chance of being myself and being on Spectrum I want to give people the same opportunity to be themselves,” Hernandez said.
Spectrum has succeeded in this goal, with the show inspiring sophomore Elyssa Imholte, a sophomore, to perform next year. “It seems really fun and I think it would be funny to do ‘Boats ‘N Hoes’ and dress up as the brothers from Step Brothers,” Imholte said
A new age of drag
With several students showing their unique style through their acts, it challenges what many people would define as drag. Although a Google search would probably define drag as people dressed up, performing and showing off talents, it is so much more than that.
“Drag is people being able to perform as their true selves,” Hernandez said.
The entire extravaganza left everyone in awe, yet the real star is the safe and expressive environment it provides. The Amateur Drag Show conveys the simple message that you should be authentically you.
“Just be yourself. You know, feel free to walk around here. If you want to walk out and dress around, however, you want to dress up. This be who you are, and we’re always gonna accept you here,” Hernandez said.
If you missed the show you need not fret. Spectrum’s Lavender Gala will be on April 30. Everyone is welcome to this event celebrating graduating LGBTQ+ individuals. Visit Spectrum’s Instagram @huspectrum for more information, and be prepared for even more glitter, glee and gag-worthy glam. Because Hamline doesn’t just break barriers; it also bedazzles them.