“Life Reimagined” for Hamline Midway Elders & Hamline University freshmen

A letter to the editor

Tom Fitzpatrick, Program Director, Hamline Midway Elders

A unique workshop happened in early September involving AARP, neighborhood senior citizens and incoming freshmen from Hamline University. AARP’s “Life Reimagined” workshops are usually for a group of older adults to help them explore what they want to do in the next phase of their lives. But incoming college freshmen are also in a transition phase as they’re trying to discover purpose in their lives.

Tom Fitzpatrick of Hamline Midway Elders partnered with Jay Haapala of AARP and Nancy Vang of Hamline University as part of their “LEAP Into St. Paul” project where incoming freshmen become involved in community projects on their first official day on campus. They all eagerly agreed to try this intergenerational experience.

On Tuesday, September 6, seventeen older adults (recruited by Tom) and eighteen Hamline University freshmen (plus a professor and student advisors), joined together with Jay and a few AARP volunteers for the “Life Reimagined” workshop. They sat together at round tables and enjoyed some delicious treats prepared by Kathy Lilly (our wonderful baking volunteer).

AARP facilitators led participants through a variety of small group and large group discussions focusing on topics such as exploring your life path, the three parts of your life path, looking back at transitions, looking forward to the future, the purposeful life formula, and following a personalized GPS. In the two hour workshop, attendees also read some supplemental materials and put their thoughts in writing.

Hamline University freshmen provided the following comments:

“I just had a blast, and it was extremely eye opening seeing the opposite side of the spectrum.”

“I really liked connecting with the elders, and it surprised me cause I didn’t think I would.”

“I loved how we saw perspectives from different views, older & younger generations.”

“I thought this was fun! I hope the they (elders) have happy lives, and have even more grandchildren!”

Neighborhood elders shared these thoughts:

“It’s really gratifying to hear optimistic young folks!”

“I’m glad to be with youth since our lives won’t otherwise meet.”

Bev Bachel, one of the AARP volunteer facilitators, shared the following:

“It was great to see how much those we often categorize as either ‘young’ or ‘old’ have in common in terms of the spiral of life. No matter our age, all of us are seeking our place in the world and a way to make a difference in the lives of others.”

Mike Reynolds, English Professor at Hamline University, provided these comments:

“That was a fantastic experience for our students. Heck, my class (like most of these first-year seminars) is about figuring out who you are and who you want to be; it was a really illuminating and exciting collaboration. Please thank all of the participants — we’ve talked about it (and will keep talking about it) many times since.”

Hamline Midway Elders was very pleased with this collaboration with AARP and Hamline University as the intergenerational workshop brought together younger and older adults able to teach and learn from each other.

Tom Fitzpatrick from Hamline Midway Elders would be happy to answer questions about the workshop and can be reached at tom@hmelders.org or 651-209-6542.