Hamline student runs for president

Daniel Mckenzie wants to rejoin the UK. And he’s willing to go to Washington to do so.

Reid Madden, Senior Columnist

Daniel Mckenzie (or Daniel Van Gucci, his “real name”), senior, was in Muskogee, Iowa watching a man wait for Peaky Blinders to load, and it gave him an idea.

“What I would like to do, if I am elected President, is to ask the British Empire to take us back.”

This would be as a colony because a subservient role “would be good for us.”

And thus his candidacy as a write-in candidate for president began. This single issue, a return to the British Empire, drives him and his campaign. I sat down with Mckenzie, Campaign Manager Blair Wagner, senior, and campaign CFO John Kwon, senior, to talk about the campaign, where he stands on other issues, and why Hamline students should vote for him.

The platform began on Facebook, Wagner explains.

“Right away people started expressing their concerns. Someone wanted to get rid of LED lights on cars,” an issue that Mckenzie is incorporating into his platform, Wagner said.

Mckenzie is playing the numbers game, but also the long game.

“He’s always doing statistical regressions with polling” according to Wagner.

Mckenzie clarified, “We’re waiting for our moment. We’re counting on Hillary Clinton to die off. We’re expecting Trump to be assassinated. With both major candidates out of the way, we’re left with the third parties. Gary Johnson will get lost finding Aleppo, people will dismiss Jill Stein, and then it’s just me and Vermin Supreme.”

I interviewed the Mckenzie team on Oct. 19. They were confident that moment would arrive in time for Nov. 8.

Kwon has done an excellent job raising money.

“Fundraising has been successful. The numbers are growing, but we have at least $10 million in monopoly money.”

When asked about how this was accumulated he asked, “What other presidential candidate owns Boardwalk? What other candidate owns all four railroads?”

Monopoly money would become the new currency under a Mckenzie presidency, along with a favorable exchange rate with the British Pound Sterling. This would be accomplished by salvaging the tea dumped into Boston Harbor during the Boston Tea Party in December of 1773, and then some.

“We will give back quadruple the tea dumped in the harbor,” Wagner energetically told me. Kwon added that they would give the Louisiana Purchase to Britain. “We’re not giving it to the French. Its an insult to the French.”

When asked about the possibility of this escalating to war, the team was unconcerned.

“Our big brother would kick their ass.” Mckenzie said.

I asked the team if the return to Britain would mean that the Democratic and Republican parties would effectively merge with the Labor and Conservative parties, respectively.

Mckenzie replied that “they would join together in their reindeer games,” reflecting the current disdain for contemporary politics amongst millennials. However, he has not planned for working around the Independence party, the far right party that spearheaded the “Brexit” from the European Union.

However, he advocated the UK handling that. “I just want to watch Peaky Blinders and hang out with my people.”

Finally, I asked all three why I should vote for Mckenzie. Kwon said he was “the realest man on campus. He can be the realest man in the UK.”

Wagner remarked on his populism. “People have opened up to him consistently ever since we started.”

But Mckenzie himself challenged me with a proposition, one which sums up his campaign: “Don’t choose between the lesser of two evils. Choose the greatest of all evil: the British Empire.”