School spirit has never looked this good

With the rise of athletic seasons and the fall of COVID-19 precautions, the Hamline Midway is vibrating with activity.

Cathryn Salis, sports editor

Hamline students packed the stands for the football game against University of Minnesota Morris on Sept. 10. Floods of Hamline gear covered the bleachers on Saturday afternoon. (Cathryn Salis)

There is a vibrancy the campus can feel coming from the athletic facilities this fall. 

First-years could be found packed in the stands of Klas for the football scrimmage before the school year even kicked off and the Pat Patterson Field blared music that could be heard across campus throughout the second week of the semester, a week which brought with it a policy change to masking. Hamline’s campus has not seen energy like this in almost three years. For many, it is a welcomed change.

Fall sports kicked off their regular seasons in the last week of August as students moved into their dorm assignments. New students were quick to participate in campus culture and sports games saw an increase in attendance as a result.

“Based off of our scrimmage we had, on the freshmen that were there, I said well, we’ve never had it like this,” head football coach Chip Taylor said. 

First-years aren’t the only ones looking to celebrate their teams this year. Alumni have been spotted in the stands and parents of players are starting to embrace the excitement that comes with Friday night lights and sunny Saturday afternoon football games. 

“Several people took that back corner of the parking lot by the metal shop. They had giant flags that showed Hamline spirit, tables for their food and lots of alcohol. Everyone seemed drunk,” senior Emily McKenzie said. “They’re family members of the students or old alumni, but it seems like more of the student’s families.”

Tailgating has not been seen on campus since fall of 2019 before the pandemic encouraged everyone to keep their space and stay safe. 

First year Calli Swink has attended both the scrimmage and first home football game and believes that attending games is an important part of the college experience. 

“It shows how involved you are at the school and in sports, like you’re willing to support other people,” Swink said. 

The campus culture is not the only beneficiary of the rise in piper pride. The players on the field can feel the energy and excitement of the crowd and that impacts their performance. Knowing that Hamline has their teams back is a powerful force. 

“After we win games, we like to sing the fight song to the student section, but, you know, we can’t do it ourselves, we need everybody on campus,” Taylor said. 

To the crowd they sang on Sept. 10 after a successful game against Minnesota Morris, with the final score at 34–21. For the most up-to-date stats and game coverage, visit hamlineathletics.com.

Hamline’s undergraduate population, being just under 2000 students, may be smaller than their MIAC counterparts, but the first couple of weeks of this academic year has proved mighty in school spirit.