Women’s Hockey pucking up the ice

Rowan Larson
Women’s hockey illustration

The Hamline Women’s Hockey Team has kicked off their season on a high note, earning a remarkable 5–0 victory in their first game against St. Norbert. Coming off a 10–16–1 record last year, the team is aiming for a strong performance this season. With their eyes set on national championships, the Pipers are determined to leave a mark on the ice as the season unfolds.
Senior Captain, Emme Nelson, speaks on the importance of bonding both on and off the ice.
“We have a very tight-knit group this year, and we all hold each other to a high standard,” Nelson said.
The team began holding bonding events this summer that have carried over into the school year. Nelson highlights the cruciality of understanding your teammates, their strengths and weaknesses to work better together.
“Everyone has an important role on this team,” Nelson said.
This sentiment is not only felt by Nelson.
“The team’s dynamics feel really special this year, it’s been so fun already and it’s only November,” junior skater Cailey McLaughlin said.
As they navigate through the challenges of the season, the players find comfort in the close-knit bonds they have formed, fostering an atmosphere of support, determination and shared enthusiasm within the team.
Embodying the team spirit, Nelson emphasizes the significance of leadership.
“Our leaders maintain positivity and motivation within the group by leading by example and upholding our team values on and off the ice,” Nelson said. It is this consistent commitment to team values that serves as the foundation of their success.
Nelson’s words echo a sentiment shared by the entire team.
“We are excited to put our hard work and preparation to the test,” Nelson said. This collective enthusiasm underscores the hours of dedication, sweat, and determination put into their training. Each player eagerly anticipates the challenges ahead, regarding them not as obstacles, but as opportunities to showcase their skills, unity and resilience.
In addition to this close-knit foundation, the team has diligently worked on their conditioning for the lengthy season and honed their offensive strategies. Their primary goal for the 2023-24 season revolves around playing fast and emphasizing puck support.
“Even if you do mess up, you know that your teammates will be there to pick you up when you’re down,” McLaughlin said, capturing the essence of the team’s unwavering support system.
This camaraderie serves as the backbone of their resilience. In the face of challenges, whether it is a missed opportunity or a temporary setback, each player takes comfort in the knowledge that their teammates stand ready to offer encouragement and a helping hand.
On the ice, this support translates into team coordination, unmatched determination and inspiring comebacks. Beyond the game, it fosters a spirit of unity, teaching invaluable lessons of teamwork, empathy and mutual respect.
As the season progresses, we eagerly anticipate witnessing the team’s continued success and the thrilling moments that they are bound to create. Here is to another season filled with exhilarating matches, unforgettable victories and the resilience that defines true champions.