A backstage pass into “Heathers: The Musical”

The first musical in several years has swept through Hamline’s campus.
Aiden Lewald

Ah, the ’80s — a time of oversized hair, scrunchies and high school drama to the max. Hamline’s University Theatre recently took a nostalgic trip to this era, delivering a production with the crowd gasping, laughing and tapping their feet to catchy tunes. The audience was whisked away to a time when shoulder pads were the height of fashion, all thanks to “Heathers: The Musical,” a deliciously wicked take on the cult classic film.
As the lights dimmed, the air was stiff with anticipation. The stage magically transported everyone straight into the bustling halls of Westerberg High. The infamous school, where the Heathers reign, the lockers that hide their secrets, and the halls that witness the unfolding drama—all demand a level of precision. From croquet mallets to plaid mini skirts, every set detail mattered. Yet, amidst the glitz and glam of the performance, one cannot help but wonder about the behind-the-scenes magic that brought this vibrant production to life.
And let’s talk about the leading ladies — the infamous trio of mean girls. Heather Chandler, Heather Duke and Heather McNamara, played by senior Kyra Richardson, sophomore Maggie Paoli and sophomore Maria Garcia, respectively, proved to be an unstoppable force. Their razor-sharp one-liners and mean-girl attitudes kept the audience entertained, solidifying their status as the queens of Westerberg High.
Maria Garcia’s passion for musicals was sparked during high school, which motivated her to audition for “Heathers.” With singing, dancing and acting experience under her belt, she was eager to combine the three again.
“I really missed the experience of putting on a musical,” Garcia said. “Heathers” was the perfect opportunity for Garcia to stretch her creative muscles and to weave her expertise in musical elements together again.
While preparing for his audition, first-year Beau Bauer who played Coach Ripper, Bill Sweeney and Big Bud Dean, went on a unique journey. He turned a pizza delivery gig into a makeshift rehearsal studio.
“During the summer, I worked at Domino’s as a driver, and I would just listen and sing along to the Heathers soundtrack on repeat to make sure that by the time I got to auditions, I would have the songs nailed,” he said.
The hurdles continued after the audition, as Bauer secured not only one but three roles. He balanced these characters flawlessly, ensuring each portrayal stood out while weaving a consistent thread throughout their scenes.
“The coach is just a school faculty member that doesn’t give a shit about his job. The other two are both abusive fathers of other main characters,” Bauer said.
Additionally, given Bill Sweeney and Big Bud Dean had just two scenes each, the task was to leave a lasting impression on the audience and reveal the motivations behind their actions.
“One problem I had with these roles is that they each had a pretty similar vibe to them, so I had to make sure my choices were distinct enough from my other characters while still making sense,” Bauer said.
Taking on the role of Heather McNamara was no walk in the park for Garcia. McNamara might seem like your typical airhead cheerleader, but there is more to her than meets the eye. As McNamara dealt with the emotional aftermath of losing her best friend, Garcia had to dig deeper into her character to reveal unexpected layers. It was all about getting into the nitty-gritty of McNamara’s journey and authentically capturing her emotional rollercoaster.
“I have spent a lot of time with Heather Mac, trying to get inside her head, her thoughts and who she is at her core,” Garcia said. The character’s evolution throughout the show demanded a diligent approach, with Garcia diving into an emotional journey to capture the essence of McNamara’s breakdown.
Regarding Bauer, an unexpected twist in the tale came when the lead actor, junior Emmett Frett, contracted COVID-19, thrusting our interviewee into the spotlight as JD for the first weekend of shows. The whirlwind of taking on a significant role in just four days is a testament to his dedication.
“The biggest challenge for JD for me was simply learning everything in 4 days. I was in the theater from dawn till dusk that whole week,” Bauer showed he was a versatile performer whose journey from a Domino’s delivery driver to the lead role of JD is nothing short of remarkable.
When it comes to the magic on stage, there is no doubt that the rebellious love story between Veronica Sawyer, played by junior Eden Fahy, and J.D. is one of the most iconic parts of the film and musical. Their relationship is highlighted in the scene surrounding the song “Dead Girl Walking.” The chemistry between the leads crackled on stage, and the lighting design added a seductive and edgy atmosphere.
Garcia claims one scene that stole her heart is the electric “Candy Store.” Not only does the scene boast phenomenal choreography, but it also provides an opportunity for the three Heathers to showcase their mean girl personas.
“It’s the first time the Heathers really get to amp up that ‘mean girl’ attitude and it’s a blast getting to play off of Kyra and Maggie,” Garcia said. The infectious fun of “Candy Store” made it a standout performance and played a crucial role in building strong relationships among the cast.
Behind the scenes, the bond among cast members emerges as the unsung hero of “Heathers.” Spending nearly three months crafting the production, the cast has cultivated a mutual respect and trust that transcends the stage.
“The trust and friendship definitely translate to the characters and relationships we create on stage,” Garcia said, emphasizing the symbiotic relationship between off-stage friendships and on-stage dynamics.
Ultimately, “Heathers” is not just a musical; it is a collaborative masterpiece fueled by passion, talent and the unspoken connections forged among the cast. Garcia, Bauer and their fellow performers bring the magic of “Heathers” to life, captivating audiences with every note, step and emotion.