Delta Tau: Shell-ebrating sisterhood

A deep dive into the Hamline sorority’s oceanic rush week.

Hamline’s one and only sorority, Delta Tau, hosted its spring semester rush week full of ocean-themed events to attract new members to their organization. Starting on Feb. 6, the four members of Delta Tau have been hosting their Ocean Rush full of fun and creative activities such as DIY Tote Bags and Edible Aquariums. The rush is set to conclude on Feb. 16 with the sorority’s traditional Formal Dinner.
With a team of four people, Delta Tau is full of younger faces. Their president, Maddie Kennedy, is only a sophomore who was elected just two months back. In addition to serving as Sorority President, she also acts as Rush chair and Treasurer, even though they only joined one year ago.
“I made a Shirley Temple and it just kind of went from there,” Kennedy said. “I’m like, wow. I love everyone. It’s very community-based and philanthropic.”
Eleanor Erickson, Delta Tau’s Vice President, holds the highest seniority in the sorority as a junior who joined in the fall of 2021.
“I just came close and I thought, eh, why not? I might as well try it out and see how that goes because I never saw myself as being in a sorority,” Erickson said.

First-year Sam Whitman has fun eating his aquarium.

Delta Tau welcomed two new members this fall; Darby Comiskey and Lexi Hermanson, two first-year students who have already taken on leadership roles in the sorority. Comiskey serves as Public Relations Chair, Historian, Philanthropy Chair and Fundraising Chair while Hermanson serves as Secretary, Social Chair and Sisterhood Chair.
“As a sorority, we’ve been working on inducting me and my roommate, Lexi into the organization,” Comiskey wrote in an email. “We’ve really been getting to know each other better and becoming closer as an organization, as well as securing our foundation.”
Despite the small sisterhood, Hamline’s Delta Tau is significant in the local volunteering scene. The sorority requires members to meet volunteering benchmarks, and in the past, they have participated in events such as Trunk or Treat, worked with Keystone Community Services and run blood drives with the Red Cross.
“We do a lot of events within the organization like sister outings. Last semester we went to Stillwater and spent the whole day there,” Kennedy said.
Sisterhood events are another significant aspect of Delta Tau in addition to the volunteering and philanthropic components of the sorority, and are often some of the most memorable events.
“I enjoyed the times when we talked a lot, like the sisterhood events,” Erickson said. “There’s always something quirky going on that is that one thing everybody would remember from that sisterhood event.”
With the ongoing Ocean Rush, the four members of Delta Tau are hoping to welcome new pledges after graduating a few in recent years. Pledges will be inducted on Feb. 23 and will enter a few-week period of pledge education before the official induction ceremony.
“We’re just a group trying to work together and enhance one another,” Erickson said. “We try to support each other however we can, and a lot of the people who come out of the organization have a little more confidence.”
Different from a typical sorority, Delta Tau is a small on-campus group of motivated young faces and offers a community that looks out for each other and builds social skills.

Pipers make tote bags during one of Delta Tau’s rush events.
(Logan McGaheran)