Lifting the weight of gym anxiety off your chest

The gym can be a scary place. Fear can stem from uncertainty about using the equipment, anxiety about being judged by others or a plethora of other reasons. Thankfully, Hamline’s Peer Wellness worked towards combating these fears with their Gymtimidation event, in which members from the women’s lacrosse team got together to show the gym to those who have not gone before.
Emma Moe, a senior at Hamline and the physical health lead for Peer Wellness felt inspired to host this event after attending Gymtimidation last year. Moe feels that the gym should be seen as a welcoming place and a part of that is making sure people know how to use the equipment.
“I know sometimes coming to campus and wanting to use the [recreation] center, especially the gym, can be super intimidating at first. Having this event will show an introduction on how to take care of yourself at the gym and properly lift and just have that gym etiquette,” Moe said.
Even with low turnout — a single student was in attendance — the event hosts still walked the attendee through what the equipment is and explained how to properly use it. Providing this knowledge helps battle one of the fears that prevents people from going to the gym.
Kaitlynn Fuller, a first-year student, has minimal experience with the gym and her lack of knowledge about how to use the equipment could be one of the reasons she hasn’t gone.
“I’ve never used gym equipment, I think I’ve used a stair climber once, but I don’t know how to use anything,” Fuller said.
Fear of the unknown is not the only thing stopping students from venturing over to Walker Fieldhouse. Some students have expressed discomfort with working out due to the feeling that they are being watched or judged.
“I think when people do go to the gym they think that people are looking at you, focusing on you, laughing at you. And personally, after going to the gym more often, I think — I am not looking at anybody, nobody is looking at me — that is how I view it,” Moe said.
Angel Martinez, a first-year student, shares this perspective and adds that one of the hardest parts of going to the gym is simply starting.
“We need a way to encourage [people who haven’t gone to the gym] to actually start off, because you are not going to get any better if you don’t at least go. We need to encourage the start because it’s not that bad. Nobody really cares or is watching what you are doing,” Martinez said.

Cal Athmann

Martinez does not typically feel intimidated by the gym, except when there are certain obstacles to deal with.
“The only times that I would feel intimidated, there have been a couple of times when I’ve gone and there is a whole [sports] team there… When they’re there they take up the whole squat rack area, and sometimes I wanna do a workout there but I am not going to go in between them, I am going to let them do their own thing. But I feel like they’re there most of the time when I’d be available to,” Martinez said.
This sentiment is shared by sophomore Lili Jorgenson who feels that it can be challenging to be in the gym when a whole team is there.
“I went once. I didn’t really stay long. Just because all of the teams are in there, so it can get very crowded and they all know each other,” Jorgenson said.
Ultimately, heading into Walker Fieldhouse has its pros and cons, but the feeling of unease that still resides in people is not unique. Those fears might not completely go away, but it may help some to know that they are not alone. Moe leaves uncertain students with a message, hoping to break down some of the fear still associated with the gym.
“Just remember … Nobody is thinking about what you are doing at the gym. Everybody is kind of in their own world. Definitely bring headphones, bring a water bottle, bring motivation. You’re there for yourself, you’re not there for anybody else,” Moe said.