HUSC Happenings

The sound of laughter and chattering between students echoed throughout GLC 100E as the Hamline Undergraduate Student Congress (HUSC) General Assembly came to order. Few seats were left unfilled, and even fewer students without a plate of tacos, chips and some good old-fashioned guacamole.
The meeting began with a brief introduction by Abi Grace Mart, internal president of HUSC, followed by a roll call by secretary Elisa Lopez. Student Organization Committee and Political Affairs Committee Chair Maddie Christensen reminded HUSC members that the applications for HUSC elections must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 20.
Lopez continued down the list of names, although there were no other updates from leaders in HUSC. There were no updates from faculty or staff members.
Mart closed the student-led portion of the assembly and Yasmin Hirsi, advocacy coordinator for Our Streets, stepped up to the podium. Our Streets, Hirsi explained, is a grassroots organization based out of Minneapolis dedicated to solving issues within state infrastructure and transportation. One of their current campaigns, titled “The Twin Cities Boulevard”, aims to replace Interstate 94 with a seven-mile stretch of land; where streets with fewer lanes and additional space for businesses and homes will not only add affordable housing and openings for more jobs but also reduce the harm on the environment.
Hirsi continued with her presentation, ending by encouraging members of HUSC to get involved through events Our Streets hosts.
The room was loud with applause as Hirsi retired to her seat, with Mart close behind to close the meeting.
To learn more about Our Streets, visit ourstreetsmpls.org. To learn more about HUSC, visit husc.hamline.edu or attend a general assembly on Tuesdays from 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. in GLC 100E.