Queens served, ate and left no crumbs at CRAVE!

Liv Degendorfer

Imagine a drag brunch so spectacular it could rival a Sims expansion pack. The atmosphere was electric, with glasses clinking and laughter filling the air. Strutting their stuff as if they had just nailed the ultimate cheat code, a series of Sims and video game-themed drag queens emerged. And on the morning of Feb. 4, The Oracle was able to join this fantastic event at CRAVE American Kitchen & Sushi Bar in Minneapolis.
Hosted by Flip Phone Events, the function was like stepping into your favorite video game, as if each performance unlocked a new level in the game of brunch. More exciting than the last, each queen commanded our attention with charisma and charm.
Haunted mansion Luigi floated in, spooky and spectacular, flaunting scared expressions and dancing to the Ghostbusters theme song. Other characters included Sora from Kingdom Hearts, and Waluigi from Super Mario Bros. And let’s not forget Link from The Legend of Zelda, looking like he just rolled out of the world of Hyrule and high-kicked his way into the brunch scene.
Various Sims, including a burglar, flaunted the iconic green diamond above their heads. The classic blurred-out naked sim also served up scandalously pixelated looks, leaving very little to the imagination. The pixels danced to “Lass Frooby Noop,” the Simlish (Sim language) parody of Katy Perry’s “Last Friday Night.”
Now, onto the grub. The options were as diverse as the characters circling the tables, from fluffy pancakes to savory salmon.
Even with all the razzle-dazzle of each performance, the most enlightening part of the event was the collaboration with QUEERSPACE Collective, a mentorship program striving to create a safe and empowering space for LGBTQ+ youth. The partnership started in 2021 when a board member from QUEERSPACE reached out to Flip Phone Events to share information about the program at the next brunch. It soon became a weekly thing, and now attendees sashay away starstruck by the queens and informed about an important cause.
“So many of our mentors, caregivers, supporters and partners first heard about QUEERSPACE by going to a drag brunch,” QUEERSPACE Collective’s Development & Communications Director Elizabeth Olson said. The impact of the brunch’s collaboration with QUEERSPACE has been astronomical.
“It’s a “win-win-win for everyone,” Olson said, with support for the local drag scene and a non-profit striving for a better community.
The primary motivation behind QUEERSPACE’s mission is how mentorship and having supportive adults can significantly affect the lives of LGBTQ+ youth. According to research by The Trevor Project, the likelihood of a suicide attempt is 40% lower for LGBTQ+ youth who report having at least one accepting adult.
Collaborating with the drag brunch has helped them gain support for their cause and the local drag scene. According to a staff member from QUEERSPACE, a young individual who attended one of the drag brunches reached out for support after learning about the program.
“It’s moments like these where we realize the importance and impact of our work,” Olson said.
In addition to developing self-esteem and a sense of belonging, LGBTQ+ youth can discover and embrace their cultural identity through individual mentoring and group events.
“QUEERSPACE hangouts is a free youth-centric intergenerational mentorship program creating inclusive spaces for LGBTQ+ youth and LGBTQ+ adults to connect as their authentic selves,” Olson said.
QUEERSPACE Collective’s hangout program currently includes St. Cloud, surrounding rural areas, and the Twin Cities metro area. They also host the QUEERSPACE Training Institute, which provides culturally specific LGBTQ+ training to organizations nationwide to make places and spaces more inclusive and welcoming for LGBTQ+ youth.
Even with all they have accomplished, QUEERSPACE still encounters several obstacles. As per the American Civil Liberties Union, more than four hundred anti-LGBTQ+ bills have been proposed in the current year, even though it is only February.
“QUEERSPACE’s largest obstacle has and will continue to be transphobia and homophobia, and we encourage everyone who cares about our LGBTQ+ community to get involved in whatever ways they can,” Olson said. Attending queer-friendly events such as Flip Phone’s drag brunches, volunteering, voting, and raising awareness to support the community is vital.
To learn more about QUEERSPACE Collective and its mentorship programs, visit their website at queerspacecollective.org, where one can apply to become a mentee or even a mentor.
“We are especially looking for trans and gender-nonconforming mentors of color to support several youth in our program with similar identities,” Olson said.
In a blink, an hour and a half had flown by in a whirlwind of sequins and sass. The fantastic food, drag queen charisma and nostalgia for video games made for an unforgettable experience. Flip Phone hosts brunch every weekend for folks who could go back over and over again. With themes such as Schitt’s Creek, Taylor Swift and Hamilton, there is something for everyone to enjoy the extravaganza. So raise your brunch glasses and toast to those drag queens who challenge the status quo and the unforgettable moments that make life fabulous.