Professor issues a WARNing

Dr. Suda Ishida spoke at a We Are Not Robots or Numbers event about the future of Artificial Intelligence
Hudson Wright
Professor Suda Ishida delivered a speech at a We Are Not Robots or Numbers (WARN) event

Hamline University’s Chair of English and Communication Studies, Dr. Suda Ishida led an active discussion about the impacts of Artificial Intelligence (AI) on global peace and security.
The event on Feb. 21 was hosted by We Are Not Robots or Numbers (WARN). At the speech, students learned from Professor Ishida about the importance of advancing technology and its global impact.
Ishida expressed concern to students about how generative AI captures personal data to re-generate new data based on what we want to see and hear.
“The impact of AI generative meaning impacts algorithms, they collect your data, so basically your phone is you, they can see and hear so when they collect our data it affects how we see the world,” Ishida said.
Ishida asked students how many apps they had on their phones and how often they read the terms and conditions before clicking accept. In Ishida’s most recent first-year seminar course, students averaged 90-100 apps on their phones.
“We cannot run away. We have to be smart,” Ishida said.
In July 2023, Ishida presented this topic at the Academy for Cultural Diplomacy in Berlin, Germany.
“We need the regulation, that’s my perspective, that’s my standpoint, we have to talk about it when we use technology,” Ishida said.
In Dec. 2023, following Ishida’s talk, the European Union passed a regulation on the use of AI. The United States and other countries still lack regulations relating to AI beginning a global race for AI development.
The increased use of AI and technology also has negative environmental impacts. Ishida explained the environmental impacts of technology and how our private data does not end up in the clouds, it ends up in the ocean.
“We tend to fantasize [about] technology,” Ishida said. “My objective is to raise awareness about this important issue because it affects us every single day in our lives.”
In May 2024, Ishida will speak in Athens, Greece at the 22nd Annual International Conference on Communication and Mass Media about the use of AI in presidential campaigns.
“Suda [Ishida] is such a powerful force with so much information on these topics and has a lot of research and time invested in it,” Ella Ettlin, President of WARN, said.
WARN was created by students in 2021 during their first-year seminar course taught by Ishida. WARN hosts events with guest speakers from faculty and students. This meeting was their second event of the year and the first speech from Ishida.
“It’s important for campus because then they can learn more about different aspects of AI, so they can learn to protect themselves against various forms of AI and become more knowledgeable on the topic,” Co-President of WARN Shelby Conrad said.
A small crowd gathered to hear from Professor Ishida, who has been teaching at Hamline University for over 20 years. Ishida continues to impact students’ lives by teaching courses surrounding digital media.
“What we see, what we don’t see, what we don’t hear based on algorithms isn’t fair, but when we think about our human nature, this is our life, we only want to see and hear what we want to see and hear,” Ishida said.

(Suda Ishida)

“In Europe, last December after my talk they passed the regulation, how to regulate the use of AI.”

“The impact of AI generative meaning impacts algorithms, they collect your data, so basically your phone is you, so they can see and hear so when they collect our data it affects how we see the world.”

“What we see, what we don’t see, what we don’t hear based on algorithms isn’t fair, but when we think about our human nature, this is our life, we only want to see and hear what we want to see and hear.”

“Diverse viewpoints, different perspectives erased by us intentionally or by the technology or the AI that is being used, so this is the concern.”

“With the use of AI to generate fake information and stuff people are not aware of it.”

“We need the regulation, that’s my perceptive, that’s my standpoint, we have to talk about it when we use technology.’

“My objective is to raise awareness about this important issue because it affects us every single day in our lives.”

“We tend to fantasize technology.”

“I want us to be aware of important issues of human technology and what actually does it mean.”

“Just chop our head off because we have no brain left.”

“We cannot run away from technology”

“We cannot run away, we have to be smart.”

“They don’t control us.”

(Shelby Conrad- Co-president of WARN)

“Everyone loves Suda, everyone wants to hear her talk about different aspects, she’s very knowledgeable.”

“It’s important for campus because then they can learn more about different aspects of AI, so they can learn to protect themselves against various forms of AI and become more knowledgeable on the topic.”

(Ella Ettlin- President of WARN)

“Suda is such a powerful force with so much information on these topics and has a lot of research and time invested in it.”

“It’s a good opportunity to learn.”