First COVID-19 MIAC Roundup

COVID-19 has halted sporting competitions no longer. Piper athletes are hitting the tracks, fields and courts, masked and ready to go after a long training season.

Cathryn Salis, sports editor

Photo courtesy of Hamline Athletics

Men’s Basketball vs Saint Mary’s (Feb. 1, 2021)

L 66-77

The Hamline men’s basketball team lost to the Saint Mary Cardinals in Hutton Arena after leading the first half in an intense back-and-forth. In the second non-conference game of their season, the Cardinals seemed to have caught a second wind at the start of the second half as the Piper’s shooting accuracy fell.

The first half ended at 39-33, with Pipers holding the largest lead of the game so far. However, in the first three minutes of the second half, the Cardinals scored 11 points and kept their lead the rest of the match. 

Junior Luke Siwek outscored all athletes in the match and put on an impressive show in the first half, shooting 75.0% and gaining 22 points for Hamline. Other starters included senior Micheal Dillon with his first double-double of the year, Sophomore Marshall Holland shooting 100.0% in his free throws, Junior Jake Larson and Trey Prince. 

Women’s Basketball vs Saint Mary’s (Feb. 2, 2021)

L 55-78

Hamline’s second road game took place in Winona, where they fell to the Saint Mary Cardinals. The Cardinals led the whole game but the Pipers had a strong performance in the last quarter, shooting 50.0% and scoring 22 points. Unfortunately, the Cardinals were able to match, and with the 19 point lead, their victory was cemented.

Hamline had 13 scorers for the game, including sophomore Tess Hauer, the only player to score doubles, junior Gabby Robinson with 8 points and junior Sarah Loken with 6. 

The Pipers can credit 22 of the Cardinals’ points to Hamline turnovers, but Saint Mary had an overall strong performance and offered good competition. 

Men’s Hockey vs Augsburg (Feb. 4, 2021)

L 2-5

After leading for two periods, the Pipers fell to Augsburg in the final frame after the Auggies scored 4 times, tying it up within six seconds after taking the opening faceoff. The Auggies scored the first goal of the game but Hamline answered in the second period, scoring their only two goals of the game.

Hamline goalie sophomore Kevin Lake had a career-high of 38 saves in net, but was pulled in the end of the last frame to add another skater. Auggies took advantage and scored on an empty net to finish the game at 5-2. 

The two goals for Hamline were scored by sophomore Andrew Erwin and first-year Joe Collins. This was Collins’s first career goal at Hamline. Junior Brenden Sheehan, senior Zak Lambrecht and sophomore Erik Dahl all recorded assists. 

Photo courtesy of Hamline Athletics

Men’s Swim and Dive vs Gustavus Adolphus (Feb. 6, 2021)

L 26.0-252.0

The Gusties are the reigning MIAC champions however the Pipers performed very well and earned 14 finishes in the top 5. 

The 50-Freestyle race gave three Pipers consecutive top-five finishes, starting in third with senior Max Carson with a time of 23.75, followed by first-year Anthony Van Sambeek at 23.96 and senior Lee Roback only .01 seconds later at 23.97. 

Carson and Sambeek joined teammates senior Nicholas Grivna and sophomore George Hubbard to take second in the 200 Freestyle relay with a time of 1:33.54. Hubbard took third in the individual 200 Freestyle (1:48.66) and fourth in both the 100 Freestyle (50.01) and the 200 Individual Medley (2:06.34).

Women’s Swim and Dive vs Gustavus Adolphus (Feb. 6, 2021)

L 13.0-281.0

The women’s swim team faced Concordia, Augsburg and Gustavus in this meet hosted by Gustavus, falling to Concordia and Gustavus but finishing ahead of Augsburg.

Sophomore Sarah Wood led the team with an impressive performance. Wood placed second in the 200 Breaststroke with a time of 2:40.61 and third in the 100 Breaststroke with a time of 1:12.88. Wood joined sophomore Sidney McCutchen, junior Lilah Fischer and sophomore Aubrey Chavarria to finish 7th in the 200 Medley Relay with a time of 2:07.18.

Sophomore Courtney Broyles placed third in diving on the 1M and 3M boards. 

Men’s Track and Field vs Saint John’s (Feb. 7, 2021)

Last, 55 points

The men’s track and field team competed against Saint John’s and Division II Southwest Minnesota State, earning third place with a composite 55 points. The Johnnies won the meet with 100 points and SMSU got second with 84 points. 

Junior Thomas Amburg set a personal record and won the long jump event with a distance of 5.86m. Senior Joe Martin won the shot put event for the Pipers against 16 competitors with a distance of 17.18m. Martin’s victory included beating five athletes from SMSU. Junior Zach Angstman won third place in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 9.01. Angstman only fell to two runners from SMSU. 

Women’s Track and Field vs Saint Benedict (Feb. 7, 2021)

First, 115 points

Hamline Pipers competed against Saint Benedict and Division II Southwest Minnesota State, besting both teams with 115 points in total. Saint Benedict earned 97 points and SMSU ended the meet with 76 points.

Senior Helen Dolan placed second in the 3000-meter run with a time of 10:05.79, which broke a ten-year-old record by almost 8 seconds. This time currently ranks fifth in the nation and the previous record was set by cross country All-American athlete Margot Branigan in 2010. In the same race, first-year Hannah Olencheck finished third with a time of 11:01.18 and junior Emma Mader finished fifth at 11:03.73. 

Junior Alexandra Maddux won the 800-meter run with a time of 2:17.65, a time which currently ranks third in the nation. First-year Lucy Hoelscher placed third (2:27.39) in the same race. Senior Shanoah Harren won the pole vaulting competition with a height of 2.90m. Sophomore Jen Valley won the long jump with a distance of 5.30m, which ranks 15th in the country. 

The Hamline throwers also had an impressive meet, highlighting junior Alexandra Kolstad placing second of fourteen in shot put with a distance of 12.03m. Junior Madison Fiecke took third in the weight throw and set a new personal best of 14.87m.