Spring arrives and winter sports wrap up

With almost every winter sport done for the season, there is a lot to look back on.

courtesy of Hamline AthletucsWinter sports teams showed up and out at their competitions this season despite the irregularities in schedualing and regulations.

courtesy of Hamline Athletucs
Winter sports teams showed up and out at their competitions this season despite the irregularities in schedualing and regulations.

Jilly Wortman, Sports Reporter

With the warm weather blowing in, the winter season is on its way out. Many people had doubts that this year would be able to have any kind of activity and now we are on the other side with great success. 

Track and Field left their season with multiple wins in different men’s event categories. The women’s team also finished with seven first-place wins and broke two school records. “Our women’s weight team placed 5th in the nation, so it was a very successful indoor season,” said Ellie Biggins, a sophomore on the Track and Field team. 

Jenneel Rodney, a junior on the Track and Field team, said the season went “really well. I had a huge PR in the weight throw & got to throw shot put for the first time in a college meet.” 

The women’s hockey team has had success as well this season. Their final record was four and two, along with coach Natalie Darwitz being inducted into the Minnesota Sports Hall of Fame for her time as a hockey player. 

The men’s hockey team is still participating in games after multiple postponements. The team is however standing with a record of one and three with many high scoring games this season. 

As for basketball, many things changed throughout the season. For the men’s team, they had some postponed games back in February due to COVID-19 protocols. As of March 1, all of the postponed games were canceled so the team ended with an overall record of two and five. 

The women’s team had a similar situation with postponements turned into cancelations. They did get to play a total of six games this season and ended with a two and four record. In one game against Concordia, there were a total of 13 threes made.

In the swim and dive world, there was a lot of success, specifically on the women’s side. The team ended third in the season finale. There were also big accomplishments in the classroom for the women’s team as they were named to the College Swimming and Diving Coaches Association of America’s (CSCAA) Scholar All-America Team because of their grades from the fall semester. 

“At our conference meet some of my teammates went college best times and some even went lifetime bests. Nearly everyone went season bests so that was great,” said Julie Mesita, a sophomore on the swim team. 

The men’s team had a strong season as well. Many of the athletes had new personal bests and in their final meet, there were 14 finishes in the top 16. There was one postponement for the men this season. 

“With most classes being online, it was nice to have some normalcy and get to train and be with more people. It was not an ideal season but I’m glad we had it,” Mesita said.

This season was not what it once was but it was still a successful competition season for the Hamline Pipers.