Faculty Spotlight: Kaori Kenmotsu

Cal Athmann

Kaori Kenmotsu, a Hamline theatre arts professor, impacts the Hamline community through her skills as an artist, educator and pro bono lawyer. It is more clear now than ever before, due to her recent return from sabbatical, that she is an important figure in many students’ lives.
Kenmotsu has been working at Hamline University for approximately 19 years as a senior lecturer in the theatre arts and the director of the Hamline Dance Ensemble where she has used her experience in many dance techniques to create a safe and welcoming environment for students to embrace their creative side.
“[Kaori] genuinely wants us to be here and be safe and love what we’re doing,” said Emily Larson, a junior at Hamline and a member of the Dance Ensemble.
Carmen Garcia, a senior at Hamline, as well as a member of the Dance Ensemble, added that they receive a great amount of respect from Kenmotsu in addition to a sense of security and belonging in her presence.
“Being in our 20s, we’re used to just getting yelled at by people older than us, so it’s refreshing to have someone tell you that you’re allowed to feel the way you need to feel,” Garcia said.
The reasoning behind Kenmotsu’s comforting presence expands beyond the reverence she has for her students. She also knows how to crack a good joke.
“She has a great sense of humor, that type of humor and lightness is something that a lot of this generation feels really safe and comfortable with,” Garcia said.
While Kenmotsu’s impact on Hamline students is immense, she does not contain herself to only one occupation.
“I have a lot of different interests. I am an interdisciplinary thinker and educator. I am always looking for connected links to different subjects to different areas. I’m an artist, I’m an organizer, I’m a lawyer, I’m a human rights advocate. All of that makes sense to me; the way that they braid together,” Kenmotsu said.
One of her many current projects entails working with Li Chiao-Ping, a choreographer and professor at the University of Wisconsin–Madison, on a piece titled Dirty Laundry. This piece is performance work with the intention of exploring the history of Asian immigration, culture, identity and experience.
“I am doing a solo piece for her [Li Chiao-Ping] which is really about my mother’s experience growing up in Okinawa. Both my parents were in the war during World War II., Tthey emigrated to the United States, and the trauma that they brought with them through war—, through poverty, through generational things—, that just lives in my body,” Kenmotsu said. “It’s really important for me as an artist to excavate my own past, my own lived experience, and share it in a way that hopefully larger audiences can connect with.”
Kenmotsu’s impact on others is not limited to artistic work. She additionally works pro bono for the non-profit organization, World Without Genocide. The mission of the organization is to protect people of threatened populations, combat racism and prejudice, and honor those who have lost their lives and cultures to violence.
“I went back and got my JD [Juris Doctor — a degree required to practice law], [and thought] how can I use my law degree in a way that is meaningful and creates and promotes justice? So I’ve been doing this project, volunteering as much as I can,” Kenmostu said.
Kenmotsu accomplishes a plethora of things across many different disciplines and has an undeniable impact on Hamline. Her students will gladly share that she is a beloved member of the community and praise Kenmotsu for the work that she does. Carmen Garcia encourages everyone to get into contact with Kaori if they have any curiosity towards dance.
“If you ever have any interest in moving in any sort of way, or just being creative, and you feel like you don’t know where to start, shoot Kaori an email. She’s got a plethora of knowledge and wisdom and experience,” Garcia said.
The Dance Ensemble will be performing the pieces that they are currently working on on April 26, 27 and 28. All are welcome to attend and experience this branch of the theatre arts.

Getting to know Kaori Kenmotsu:

What are your hobbies and interests?: “I love exercising. I am very committed to my yoga practice, [it] is a huge part of who I am. I love boxing, I love running and I love walking. I love to cook, I love to feed people.”
What is your biggest pet peeve?: “I have a golden doodle, Arlo… and he takes things. He takes my shoes, my socks, anything that he can get his hands on and then he runs around and I have to chase him… You can’t leave anything out.”
What is your favorite movie?: “I rewatched the Harry Potter series with my daughter… I think we’ve watched through the series three times. I love the Harry Potter movies. They are good but it is not because of the movies. It is because it is something that I am doing with my daughter.”
What is your favorite season of the year?: “I don’t like summer. I love the line between fall tipping into winter when the air is crisp, because I am a runner, I love to run in that weather.”