The Bleacher Boys: Hamline’s premier superfans

By bringing high energy and unmatched fan support, the Bleacher Boys have made their presence felt at Hamline Piper home games
Logan McGaheran
The Bleacher Boys watch the game anxiously, hoping the hockey team scores a goal.

If you have been to a Piper game as of late, you will have noticed something a little different about the atmosphere. Whether it is the larger fan presence or increased energy and support, Piper home games have been absolutely electric.

Behind this bump in Piper pride are two Hamline students who have changed the definition of Piper fan support with their top-notch enthusiasm and passion for HU athletics.
The Bleacher Boys, formed by the duo of Michael Cromer and Durham Welch, are Hamline’s student-led fan section that brings the juice to all home Piper games. It was the brainchild of Cromer and Welch that came up at the beginning of the 2023-24 winter season.
“We had the idea to start Bleacher Boys a little after the start of the winter season,” Welch said. “Cromer actually had the idea of making an Instagram page since we took a lot of photos at games. Originally, we were known as just a couple rowdy Hamline fans, then at MyBurger one night we came up with the name Bleacher Boys, and the rest is history.”
The ‘couple of rowdy Hamline fans’ quickly created notable differences in fan support throughout the coming Piper home games.
This change, however, came as somewhat of a surprise to the Bleacher Boys.

Durham Welch holds up a red card in protest of a Gustavus player receiving a penalty. (Logan McGaheran)

“We had no expectations that this would turn into something as popular as it has become. We honestly thought we would get a couple followers and likes and that’s it, but it’s taken off in ways we can’t even imagine,” Welch said.
Of course the fans themselves have played just as big of a part in this as the Boys themselves. Piper fans such as Sila Yurttas and Andy Converse agree that fan support is an essential part of the sports atmosphere.
“It’s super important to have fan support at our sporting events,” Yurttas said. “It boosts team morale and motivates us to do our best when we know our peers are watching.”
Converse, a member of the Hamline football team, says that playing in front of a rowdy crowd “makes a very big difference … it shows us love.”Even Welch has noticed the increase in fan attendance.
“We are seeing more people going to all Hamline events, which is great for the athletes. By bringing a rowdy atmosphere, it provides a great home advantage for Hamline and an intimidating atmosphere for the opposing team,” Welch said.
The players representing Hamline University, especially on the court, have very much so felt the presence of the Bleacher Boys and the rest of the Piper faithful.
Men’s Basketball’s top big man Austin Holt loves having the Piper fans on his side.
“As an athlete, it means the world to have the support from people like the Bleacher Boys and the crowd that they bring. From the athletes point of view, seeing the bleachers fill up makes a huge difference in how we play,” Holt said.
The impact of the crowd is reciprocated by fellow basketball star Lydia Lecher.
“It is a major factor in my game to have noise and motivation coming from the sideline, and to know that we have fans supporting us consistently throughout the season,” Lecher said. She would go on to say how the Bleacher Boys, “impact our team energy and give us another reason to play hard and keep battling in tough situations.”
As the MIAC’s premier student section looks towards the end of the winter season, they look to up their game. Welch assures the future prosperity of the Bleacher Boys.
“Piper Nation can expect some really fun games coming up to end the regular season and into playoffs. We have been talking to the coaches and have stuff planned and have items set to make it a great fan experience for everyone not only during the game, but during intermission as well,” Welch said.

Despite a loss for Hamline, the Bleacher Boys still show their Piper Pride! (Isaac Roy)