Courts ablaze: Piper tennis preview

Hudson Wright
Sophomore Christine Muller and sophomore Lynn Nguyen battle it out together in an indoor doubles match.

As the spring season unfolds with excitement, men and women’s tennis at Hamline University take to the courts with skill and determination, promising a rousing season ahead. With the men’s team standing at 4–2 and the women’s team at 4–3 overall, both teams have displayed their talents on the court, setting the stage for an exciting season.
Head Coach Spencer Jones plays a significant role in fostering the team’s self-confidence and driving them toward victory. Encouraging players to buy into his vision, Jones instilled a sense of belief and determination.
“My coach [Jones] told me when I was an incoming freshman that I had to buy into what he’s building and everything will turn out,” senior Elijah Krause said. “Now, as a senior, I can finally say Coach Jones was right.”
This unwavering faith in the coaching staff and the team’s collective efforts paved the way for significant progress. With a newfound sense of confidence and skill, the team has demonstrated its ability to compete at a high level.
“Starting this season out with a winning record is a great boost to our confidence and shows us that we have the ability to beat any team,” Krause said.
Preparation is key for each player, both mentally and physically, as they gear up for matches. From visualization techniques to physical conditioning, players meticulously prepare themselves to perform at their best.
“Tennis is definitely a physically and mentally demanding sport,” sophomore Christine Muller said. “I try to keep myself positive all the time and instead of getting down on myself when I mess up, I try to think of what I did wrong and how can I improve and not dwell on the little mistakes that will always happen from time to time.”
Setbacks and losses are inevitable in sports, and handling defeat requires resilience and thoughtfulness after mistakes.
“Handling defeat can be tough, especially if you have the last match that decides if your team wins or loses. Steps I take after are taking time for myself and replaying the match to go over what happened,” first-year Elanna Kohner said. With support from teammates and a commitment to improvement, players overcome defeats.
“Fostering a positive team environment is something that is very important to me,” Kohner said. “On the court, we are all very supportive and cheer each other on during our matches.”
Off the court, players build relationships by spending quality time with teammates and creating friendships beyond the game. Looking ahead, players are driven by both short-term and long-term goals. From refining individual techniques to triumphs as a team, each player is dedicated to contributing to the team’s growth and success both on and off the court.
“Tennis to me is all about having fun and making relationships with your teammates and improving your own skills as much as possible through practice and matches,” Muller said. With these values at heart, the Hamline Tennis team is united in their determination to shine on the court and create a strong community both on and off the courts.