Hamline loses home game in OT

Despite an unfortunate loss in overtime, Hamline hopes to start a new tradition with night football games.

The+Hamline+Pipers+battle+the+Carleton+Knights+on+Sept.+21.%0A%28Photo+by+Gino+Terrell%29+

The Hamline Pipers battle the Carleton Knights on Sept. 21. (Photo by Gino Terrell)

Gino Terrell, Senior Reporter

Last Saturday night, Sept. 21, Hamline students showcased school spirit for their school at the football game. Students wore all black to support the football team in their blackout theme and ate food, socialized, and participated in activities before kickoff. To cap off the night, the Pipers put on a show in a competitive game against Carleton with a record breaking performance by sophomore running back Austin Duncan.

Last year’s night game at Klas Field had the biggest audience since the stadium had opened in 2005, according to Hamline’s Sports Information Director Dave Wright. Wright expected the same turnout last Saturday night.

The SAAC (Student Athlete Advisory Committee) provided free food, campus recreation activities for prizes, and music to create a social environment at the tailgate before the football game. President of the SAAC senior Rannon Arch helped coordinate the event. Arch’s main duty as the president of SAAC is to be the voice of the student athletes and communicate with the athletic department and administration. His goal with this event was to bring the Hamline community together and build a support system for Hamline’s athletics.

“This event really [generates] an atmosphere here on campus that’s really supportive and excited about [Hamline’s] student athletes,” Arch said. “I think we can really pull off something special [Saturday] night that this campus hasn’t seen in a while. Having a ‘blackout’-themed event gives students a chance to show school spirit; something you don’t see a whole lot on this campus,” he said Friday.

Athletic Director Jason Verdugo was excited for Saturday’s game.

“I anticipate a great day culminating with a competitive football game for our student body to enjoy. Honoring our former champions is always a great thing. It adds a nice element to any game,” he messaged via email.

During halftime, former Hamline track and field athlete Becky Culp (’13), and senior gymnastics athlete Courtney Benson were honored. Both athletes received All-American and Academic All-American honors last year.

“Those are the types of people [that] you really want to represent the school. They’re going to be great members of society,” said Wright.

Also honored at the game, was the Pipers 1988 football team, the last team to win a conference championship. The head coach of that team was the Pipers powerhouse head coach Dick Tressel. Tressel also had current head coach Chad Rogosheske as a player and later hired Rogosheske on his coaching staff. Tressel that day was on the opposite sideline because he is Carleton’s assistant coach. Just to make things more complicated, Tressel’s son Luke is an assistant coach for the Hamline Pipers.

Verdugo was pleased with the idea of the Saturday night football games.

“I hope to have two or three night games next year. It may be our niche as a football program,” he messaged.

The Pipers brought the game to overtime, but lost 20-17.

“[It was a] Hard lost but guys fought,” Rogosheske said. “[They showed] effort and heart.”

The Pipers and the Knights played a close game, at half it was knotted at 10. The Pipers scored a touchdown early in the third period to take the lead 17-10. The Knights tied the game halfway in the fourth quarter. The following drive the Pipers responded, they moved down the field 80 yards for the final drive of regulation.

Rogosheske made a gutsy call on a fourth and one situation at the Knights 21 yard line with 40 seconds remaining in regulation. Sophomore quarterback Tim Bona kept the ball after the snap and pushed forward behind the offensive line to pick up a crucial first down.

The Pipers faced a third and goal with 15 seconds left within five yards away from the end zone. Bona looked to his right and threw to the corner of the end zone to junior Hoyfal Adam. Adam was bumped off his route by a Knights defender and the ball sailed over his head, as a result there was no flag and it fell as an incomplete pass.

It was fourth down and five seconds remained. The Pipers sent out the field goal unit in hopes to close the game out. The Knights called a timeout to “freeze” the kicker. After the timeout, the Pipers snapped the ball; the kick was up but went wide left and the game into overtime.

In overtime, the Pipers had another chance to win the game with a field goal from 28 yards out. The kick was off the mark and that turned the ball over to the Knights. The Pipers put up a good defensive stand but the Knights made a 20-yard field goal to close the game out.

Despite the loss, the team showcased their talent and played a competitive game that was down to the wire. Duncan also set two team records that game, the most carries, 48, and rushing yards with 298.

The Pipers next game will be Saturday, Sept. 28, at Augsburg where they will look to build on their early season’s success. Rogosheske appreciated the support of everyone who came out Saturday night.

“The crowd [created] a fun environment. Hopefully the support continues,” Rogosheske said.