Stenson’s leadership invaluable

Senior captain playing out her final games in a Piper uniform.

Cole Mayer

Senior Aubrey Stenson chases after the ball during the Pipers 0-1 home loss to Carleton on Tuesday, Oct. 13.

Josh Dungan, Senior Reporter

Leadership, hard-work and a push to succeed has senior midfielder Aubrey Stenson just two games away from finishing a marvelous career at Hamline. Looking back on her playing days has Stenson positive she made the right choice to attend Hamline four years ago.

“It’s been great, and I can’t imagine being on any other team,” said Stenson. “This group is my second family and my best friends are on the team and I couldn’t have asked for a better group of girls to play with for four years.”

Stenson earned three starts on an upperclassmen-laden roster her first-year and the senior has been a fixture in Coach Ted Zingman’s lineup ever since.

“Our coach looks to the freshmen to show they can play right away and Aubrey did that,” said Brook Pigg, a senior teammate of Stenson’s. “The team as a whole was upperclassmen, we only had six freshmen that year so she really made an impact right away and never let down.”

Stenson was brought to Zingman’s attention after a tournament in Iowa so he invited her to campus to visit. Hamline was of particular interest to Stenson because she wanted to get a little farther away from her hometown of Oshkosh, Wis. to “get out and see what else is out there.” The lack of pressure to fully devote her time to soccer made Stenson enjoy the community feel of Hamline. When Stenson first arrived, she roomed with another first-year at the time, Pigg.

“Every preseason our coach rooms first-years together partially so we do not oversleep and miss practices and partially because it’s our first time away from home,” said Pigg. “I roomed with Aubrey so we got to know each other pretty well right away and me, her and Keanna [Mienert] bonded really closely.”

Stenson has been a playmaker for the Pipers over her four years here and has continued to produce even after changing positions before her senior season.

“She started her career as more of a midfielder type,” said Zingman. “Now she’s moved out to the wing and played more of a wide role as a senior and has been very effective.”

Teammates praise Stenson’s ability to produce scoring opportunities any time she touches the ball.

“If you give Aubrey the ball you know she will make something happen,” said Keanna Mienert, the third and final senior on this year’s squad.

Leading by example is key to Stenson’s leadership style as one of this year’s captains. She challenges those around her to reach her level of play and is constantly determined to play at her absolute best in every practice and game.

“The most important aspect of learning how to be a leader is learning how to lead by example,” said Stenson. “With ten freshmen coming in we really had to step up and show them what it’s like to be on this team.”

Stenson, Pigg, and Mienert lead a young team that has struggled this year. The women’s team has played to a 4-10-1 record with two games remaining. Losing seasons like this can sometimes be tough on student leadership, but the seniors are staying positive.

“We stay positive because we know that it’s the only way we will be able to enjoy our last games,” said Mienert. “Getting down and negative does nothing but make something you love and enjoy doing miserable.”

Stenson is taking a positive outlook on the last week of the season.

“I think this team has shown how strong we really are because each practice we’re not giving up,” said Stenson. “We’re still trying our best every practice and game and giving it our all, so hopefully we can get a few wins.”

After coaching Stenson for four years, Zingman is sure that she has a bright future in front of her.

“I think she’s going to be able to do whatever she wants to do,” said Zingman. “I think she’ll have success in whatever area she chooses to work, and she’ll be successful because of her commitment to excellence and her determination.”

Stenson and the women’s team conclude their season with games against MIAC foes Bethel (3-13, 0-9 MIAC) and Gustavus Adolphus (10-5-1, 7-2 MIAC). The Bethel game kicks off today, Wednesday, Oct. 28 at 3:30 on Paterson Field and the Gustavus game will take place in St. Peter on Saturday, Oct. 31.