Pipers take down Tommies

Women’s soccer remain undefeated at home after a shutout victory on homecoming weekend.

Senior Brienne Garside controls the ball. (Photo by Gino Terrell)

Gino Terrell, Senior Reporter

Pipers defeated the Tommies in a one-goal game which head coach of the Pipers, Ted Zingman, described as a “relief” last Saturday, Oct. 5.

After the Pipers had shut out the St. Thomas Tommies 1-0, Zingman said that he was content about the outcome.

“I feel relieved,” Zingman said. “We have lost a few one goal heartbreakers. It’s nice to be on the other side.”

Prior to last Saturday’s game, the Pipers had lost four games by a one goal margin. One in the final minutes of regulation, another in overtime, their third a second half three goal rally, and their last was an unfortunate 1-0 loss to due to a friendly mistake where the ball was knocked into their own net by a Piper defender.

The Pipers have had their share of heartbreakers this season, but they were determine not to have one on their homecoming last Saturday.

During the game, both teams attacked the net and had their share of opportunities. The Pipers rose to the challenge, and junior goalkeeper Erin Urbanowicz recorded seven saves to record the shutout victory.

Going into halftime, the game was tied at zero. With less than 15 minutes remaining in the second half, the Pipers capitalized on what turned out to be a game changing play. As the ball was rolling across the field with not a single Piper within 15 feet, it appeared the ball would find its way to the sideline, and turn the ball over to the Tommies in their territory.

However, Pipers’ junior midfielder Aileen Scheibner ran from midfield and beat out a Tommie defender to keep the ball in play, which was nearly four feet away from crossing the boundary line. In the St. Thomas end, she was isolated with a Tommie defender, but managed to dribble passed her. Scheibner then kicked the ball to a fellow teammate, sophomore Eden Behrens. Behrens then scored on the kick that gave the Pipers the go-ahead goal. As a result of Scheibner’s hustle on the play, she was rewarded with an assist, which helped the team gain the victory.

“It feels really great to win,” Scheibner said. “We knew we had to come out and work really hard. I’m glad we came out and did it. I’m happy with the win.”

The victory has lifted the Pipers to a record of 4-5-2 and has placed them seventh in conference. The squad is currently undefeated at home with a record of 3-0-1. The past four of their final seven games of the season will be home against conference opponents which will give them a chance to climb up in their conference standings. Zingman believes that a home field advantage along with their most recent win may create some momentum for the final portion of the season.

“We are undefeated at home [and] we have been playing well at home,” Zingman said. “Hopefully this will propel us forward [throughout] the final half of the season.”

Before their next home game against conference foes Concordia on Saturday, Oct. 12, the Pipers will head to Roseville to take on Northwestern at 4 p.m. this evening.