Tommies tackle Pipers

Hamline remains winless in conference play after hard fought 4-2 loss to St. Thomas.

Gino Terrell, Reporter

On Saturday, the Hamline Pipers men’s soccer team hosted the St. Thomas Tommies at Paterson Fields. Prior to the game, the Pipers were 0-4 in the MIAC and hoping to get their first conference win.

The Tommies struck first with a goal in the first six minutes of play, but the Pipers struck back to tie the game.

Sophomore Tyler Tallasken scored his second goal of the season, which was assisted by senior Sam Slagle.

In the second half, with less than 20 minutes to go, the Pipers’ substitution placed senior Jesse Hawker into the game to create a spark for the Pipers.

Hawker was on the move as he broke away downfield, moving the ball down in Tommie territory. He was penalized when a Tommie defender fell to the ground, which Hawker thought was a flop. He gave the official an earful and the Pipers fans began to boo.

There was another call the crowd thought was controversial late in the second half. Both times it killed the Pipers offensive momentum.

Those struggles eventually lead to two Tommie goals that stretched the lead 3-1.

After the Tommies third goal of the game, junior Greg Northrop showed some fight, scoring a goal less than 40 seconds later to bring the game back in reach, at 3-2.

The momentum was back on the Pipers side, but the Tommies aggression caught the Pipers off guard as they allowed another goal.

With three minutes left to play, the game was sealed at 4-2 in favor of the Tommies.

Coach Alex Morawiecki said his defense played solid for the most part. He believed the players played hard throughout the game, but says his offensive attack has to improve.

He didn’t appear to frustrated at the officiating as he knows it is something that they can’t worry about because he and the Pipers understand they just have to play the game.

Morawiecki mentioned that their offense would be the main focus heading into next week’s road game against St. Mary’s, which is Saturday, Oct. 6.

Heading into a bye week, the team should feel pretty confident knowing that they played well against a good MIAC team in St. Thomas. Had a few calls gone their way, the Pipers may have been celebrating a victory.