Hamline stays alive with win

The Pipers get one step closer to a playoff spot and the most wins in team history.

Gino Terrell, Reporter

On Oct. 6, the game between Hamline and Saint Mary’s kicked off at Pat Paterson Fields. Prior to the game, the Pipers were 7-3-1 and still in the hunt for a playoff spot. This game was crucial, as their season would be on the line.

This game featured some of Division-III’s top players: sophomore Aileen Scheibner, former 2011 All-MIAC team and currently tied as the league’s leader in goals, squaring off against goalkeeper Miranda Halling of Saint Mary’s, who is leading the league in saves.

The game was deadlocked at halftime with a score of 0-0. In the majority of the second half, the Pipers took control of the ball and kept it in Saint Mary’s end. They finally scored, taking a 1-0 lead. With 11:58 left in the final half, Saint Mary’s struck back, tying the game at 1-1. Exactly 20 seconds later the Pipers drove downfield with a goal of their own to take back the lead 2-1.

They held on and once again came out victorious. In the end, it appeared last week’s MIAC Women’s soccer Athlete of the Week junior Molly Jacobs was the better goalkeeper. The Pipers improved their record to 8-3-1 and stay alive in the playoff hunt.

After the game, head coach Ted Zingman said the team played well overall and took control of the game.

“I was impressed with our response right after [allowing] the goal,” he said. “Overall, a good win for the team.”

Zingman mentioned that he is aware that his current team is approaching the school’s record for most wins in a season; they now have eight, the previous mark is 10 and that has happened twice. Both marks were set by Zingman in 2007 and 2011.

“It would be nice to break that program for wins in a season,” Zingman said.

The Pipers have six games left on schedule. With the team’s hot streak, it’s a possibility that the record could be broken, and that this could be the best squad of girls to ever play for Hamline’s soccer team.

“It’s really a great group of girls,” Zingman said. “They get along so well and how close they are off the field really comes out on the field. It’s just a pleasure to coach them.”

The Piper women only have two games left at Paterson Fields as four of the final six games are on the road. Their next game is tonight, Tuesday, Oct. 9, at Paterson Fields as they face University of Wisconsin-Superior.

A big rivalry game that’s coming up is against the Augsburg Auggies on Oct. 19, which can very well be what the season comes down to. Both teams are currently fighting for playoff contention; this could possibly be the biggest game in the history of Hamline women’s soccer.

“Quite honestly, we’re not focused on that right now…our focus is on one day at a time,” Zingman said. “Our focus right now is having a great practice on Monday and get ourselves ready for our game on Tuesday and when Augsburg comes, Augsburg comes.”